Topic: Re-chroming services

daoust    -- 10-07-2012 @ 9:04 AM
  I have a '47 convertible. She's in great shape I think. Scored 922 in judging at Hiawassee. Still ironing out a few things.

One of the things I want to do is have the horn ring re-chromed. It's not terrible but I'd still like to get it done. Frankly, I've heard horror stories about sending things out to be re-chromed. Super-long return times; parts lost entirely; different parts returned than the ones sent. All-in-all it seems like a risky proposition.

I believe part of the power of club like EFV8 is in the way members can warn one another about potential pitfalls or make strong recommendations. Everyone benefits from the shared experience.

That said, can anyone recommend a good re-chroming service? The car goes into storage in another month or two so being without the horn ring for a few months (if necessary) won't be a big deal. I'm looking for quality, itegrity and reliability - not necessarily the lowest price.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

David Daoust

kubes40    -- 10-07-2012 @ 9:49 AM
  The Chrome Shop in Menasha, WI. Steve Campbell is the owner.
I have used his service for 30+ years for MANY high point restorations.
NEVER any excuses offered for poor workmanship, late delivery, missing parts. Why?
There's never been a need for an excuse. The workmanship is beyond reproach. if Steve says three weeks, it is usually on your porch in two.
This is one of those services that as you suggest is haunted by less than desirable folks. Steve sets the bar very high for others.
Mike Kubarth

supereal    -- 10-07-2012 @ 8:25 PM
  I didn't have much trouble finding a very nice horn ring for my '47 . The one on the car when I bought it was broken and hot glued to the steering wheel. I paid less than half the cost quoted for replating. I have an expensive NOS steering wheel, and was particular about the appearance. I had a very nice center in my collection, and it looks like new.

john38coupe    -- 10-08-2012 @ 2:40 PM
  I support Mike's response regarding The Chrome Shop. They have done beautiful work for me including the horn ring. Perfection on everything.

Esteban34    -- 10-09-2012 @ 4:37 PM
  Don't know where you are located, but Superior Chrome does excellent work in San Jose, CA. Check their website.

adonde vas, estas alli
Esteban

37 Coupe    -- 10-10-2012 @ 7:01 AM
  My choice for the last 32 years has been CustomChrome in Grafton Ohio. I also would add that I bet you could find a NOS or a mint one with some searching.

fordmerc    -- 11-04-2012 @ 6:14 PM
  Qual-Krom. In Erie Pa. good work, good price, good service

fordmerc    -- 11-04-2012 @ 6:15 PM
  Qual-Krom. In Erie Pa. good work, good price, good service

Pat's 52    -- 01-01-2013 @ 10:48 AM
  I recommend Qual-Kroc in Erie, Pa. They are experts in working on die cast parts. They did beautiful work on my 37, 50, and 52 parts.

42ford    -- 01-09-2013 @ 7:56 PM
  I used Qual Chrome in Erie, Pa. Not cheap, but he did not loose anything and it was done when he said it would be.
Dick

This message was edited by 42ford on 1-9-13 @ 7:57 PM

jal9846    -- 01-09-2013 @ 8:44 PM
  David,
I met you in GA, and really was impressed with your car, and you passion to keep immproving it. Hopefully this post is not too late...but regardless, let me offer some insight. I strongly recommend Qual-Krom in Erie, PA for any die cast chrome plating. They are a small, family run shop and do all the die cast parts in house with great care, very reasonable lead time, price, and with extremely high quality and detail. They have done several parts for my 48 Mercury Convertible, including those very difficult lower grilles and front waterfall grilles. I also would say that, unlike the Merc, those ford rings are actually quite available still as NOS, and may be the best option vs. re-chrome. For some reason, Ford cranked out a bunch of those rings...and they are still out there! Best of Luck!
Justin LaChausse
RG59

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5280