Topic: Horn does not work

dansford    -- 10-04-2012 @ 7:13 AM
  The horn on my 36 Ford is not working what steps do I take to repair this problem,is there a way to test it out before I start taking things apart? Thanks dansford

TomO    -- 10-04-2012 @ 8:43 AM
  The horn receives its voltage from a yellow wire and the ground from a yellow and green wire from the base of the steering column. You should be able to check out if it is the horn or the contact at the bottom of the steering column by grounding the yellow and green wire at the horn with a jumper wire.

If the horn does not blow, check the voltage going to the horn on the yellow wire or use a jumper from the battery to the terminal where the yellow wire is attached and press the horn button.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-04-2012 @ 10:47 AM
  Your '36 doesn't have a horn relay, so the button, which furnishes the ground, is subjected to a high current flow. This, in turn, can interrupt the ability of the button to make contact due to arcing. There is a condenser in the horn designed to reduce this problem, but they are usually not working. The horns are subjected to weather, and very often are rusty inside the cover. Sometimes cleaning the contacts will restore them, unless the coil is open. The '36 horns and parts are hard to find because they were used only that year. You can mount a "universal" horn behind the small grills if repair isn't successful. I would install a horn relay to protect the horn(s) in any case.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-4-12 @ 10:48 AM

dansford    -- 10-04-2012 @ 12:30 PM
  Tomo..or anyone, I ran a jumper wire from my battery to the horn and the horn blows. If I understood you correctly my problem lies at the bottom of the steering column. Is this correct?

dansford    -- 10-04-2012 @ 2:55 PM
  Thank-you all the problem was a sloppy bail wire holding the light switch on, horn rod did not make contact. Thanks.

TomO    -- 10-05-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Glad that you fixed your problem.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5277