Topic: Thoughts on lowering

spqr67    -- 10-03-2012 @ 8:26 PM
  Looking for some input on the best/most cost effective way to lower my 50 Custom.
The way I see it there are two options, install drop spindles in the front (possibly requiring some manipulation of other parts..steering?) and lowering blocks in the rear OR cutting coils in the front and use blocks in the rear.
I don't plan on using my girl on long trips; she's just a weekend cruiser.
Anyone have strong opinions on either? Prob best to mention that I'm a novice in regard to this kind of thing.
Thanks all-
Michael

supereal    -- 10-03-2012 @ 8:59 PM
  As this club is dedicated to the preservation of old Fords, it is likely you will find limited support for lowering. Many of us old timers did do it back in the 50's, and found that altering the suspension usually resulted in handling problems, bottoming, and tire interference. To do it safely, cutting coils or heating springs is a poor choice. The "low riders" probably have a better idea in using hydraulics to lower or raise the ground clearance. If you are intent on doing it, obtain the Chassis Engineering catalog. They have the necessary items to do it correctly.

flathead4rd    -- 10-04-2012 @ 6:01 AM
  You can lower the front about two inches by replacing the front springs with coils from a Ford Aerostar. For the back just use two or three inch blocks. Do not cut or heat coils. The Aerostar coils will maintain your ride without botoming out. Get more information about this modification at the shoeboxford.com web site.

Stroker    -- 10-04-2012 @ 3:07 PM
  There is a "downside" to lowering the front end of your 50 without the use of dropped spindles. As the upper and lower suspension arms are raised (relative to their stock position), the difference in length of the shorter upper arms and longer lower arms will result in negative camber. (wheels are farther apart at the bottom that at the top). This is mainly an issue with tire wear, as you will wear the inside tread of the tire more than the outside. Negative camber can also mimic too little caster or toe-out with the symptom being a tenancy for the car to wander from a straight line. It's not a major problem as long as you keep the drop within reason.

As for the rear, lowering blocks are the traditional method, but you will be changing the drive-shaft angle slightly. What you want to avoid, is having no measurable angle at the universal joints, as this can cause premature failure of the universal. Universal
joints (cardan joints)like to operate at a slight angle so that the needle bearings don't simply ride in one spot in their respective race, but get to roll a little every revolution.

I'm not a fan of "cutting coils", as by doing so you make the remaining spring much stiffer. Flathead4rd's suggestion regarding Aerostar coils avoids that issue, but Supereals suggestion to consult a firm that has lots of experience in your situation would be my choice. Good luck "slamming" your 50, but you won't get a lot of sympathy from us "purists".

This message was edited by Stroker on 10-4-12 @ 3:16 PM

trjford8    -- 10-04-2012 @ 7:56 PM
  I've lowered every old Ford I've ever owned. I always thought they sat too high.Maybe I'm still rebelling against my dad who used to get on me about modifying anything on a car.
You can get shorter coils from Jamco Suspension (www.jamcosuspension.com). They are $135 for the pair and you can get them up to 2 inches shorter than stock. I suspect the Aerostar coils from the local junk yard would be cheaper. Jamco also carries the lowering block kits and they are about $60. I think O'Reilley's Auto Parts also carries the kits for about $40.
I have cut coils in the past, but never used a torch to cut them. I used a die grinder to cut the coil and never cut more than one coil. This usually drops the front about 2".
There's also a kit that lowers the bottom spring plate pocket of the 49-51 cars. You find the kits on e-Bay periodically. You drill out the spring plate rivets and then insert the spacers and bolt the pates back on.These kit drop the front about 1" or so.
Since you indicate you are new at this I would talk to lots of people and gather all the info you can prior to making the decision on whether to lower or not.

TomO    -- 10-05-2012 @ 7:27 AM
  Be aware that any changes in height will affect handling. It may be look cool, but it is not always a good idea to lower a car.

Tom

spqr67    -- 10-07-2012 @ 10:02 AM
  @flathead4rd...thanks for the tip. Seems like an easy, low cost method and could be easily changed back if it didn't work out. Is there a specific year Aerostar that I should look for?

flathead4rd    -- 10-07-2012 @ 4:52 PM
  1990 Ford Aerostar coils. Cost about $60 a pair.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5275