Topic: 1947 Ford 2 door coupe

cooporcoupe    -- 10-03-2012 @ 4:44 PM

Just picked up a 47 ford, and I plan on restoring it soon. My question to this forum is. What way do I go, orginal or off just a little bit, does it matter?
It will come down to money but everthing does right.
There in no engine or transmission in car at this time.
Very little rust, inside is a mess, seat covers and door panels gone, some gauges missing but all in all I think I got a very good deal.
Please help me. I have a line on EARLY V8 PARTS I can get just about anything from them, don't know where they get the stuff but it is priced just right.
I also would like to know what can I expect on cost re-doing this car. I am going to retire soon so time is not a problem money wil be.
Thanks
John

juergen    -- 10-03-2012 @ 7:04 PM
  Nobody chimed in so here is my 2 cents worth.

About 10 years ago I sort of restored a 39 Sedan Delivery doing most of the work myself. I farmed out the engine machine work and the upholstery. I built a bored Merc engine from used swap meet parts but had a rolled and pleated seat and door sides made. It cost me $10,000. It would cost me more today. Just the rubber parts will cost over $1000.

The sad thing about restoration today is that you can probably buy a completed car in the same shape as your restoration for less money than the parts you purchase even when the work you do yourself is considered free. Of course the labor beats watching TV and slows down your beer drinking.

fla48    -- 10-03-2012 @ 7:39 PM
  My thoughts are, restoring a car is a hobby. Just take your time with it. Most of us take years to complete a rebuild. As with any hobby, they are all expensive, but if you set a budget and stick with it, it is a very fulfilling feeling when you get it on the road. There are lots of resources out there at your disposal. Good luck with the project. My personal preference would be to keep it as close to stock as possible, not to hot rod it.

supereal    -- 10-03-2012 @ 9:10 PM
  As mentioned above, you should be prepared to face unanticipated expense to even reach safe driving condition. I have a '47 myself, a convertible, that was drivable, but barely. We operate a large general repair and machine shop, so much of the project, except paint and body work, was "in house". Even so, the total cost, to date, has reached nearly $30,000. It is a very nice fun car, but not a show example. Soaring parts costs, alone, have made even limited restoration hard on the wallet. If you are not prepared, your car may end up as one of those sad, abandoned projects.

trjford8    -- 10-04-2012 @ 8:06 PM
  John, if you have a car with no motot or trans and it needs body work, paint, and upholstery you will easily spend $10,000-$15,000. Even if you do a lot of the work youself it will still be expensive. The secret is to set plan and stick with it. Don't continually change you mind after you start or the costs will rise substantially. Stock or not stock will be your decision. This site deal mostly with stock cars that have some minor modifications. No matter your decision we can help you with a lot of questions as there is a lot of experience on this site regarding old Fords.

TomO    -- 10-05-2012 @ 7:24 AM
  To answer your original question, restoring the mechanical part of the car to stock is usually less expensive than modifications. Upholstery can be less expensive by going non-stock, but Mac's sells a stock kit that is reasonable.

As this is your first restoration, you will probably find it easier to go stock, rather than having to re-engineer thing to make the car road worthy.

Check out the vendors on this site, most of them have a good supply of reproduction parts. Join the V-8 Club and find a Regional Group near where you live. By doing this, you will have friends to advise you on the parts that you will need, be a source of some parts and lots of friendly companionship as you start down the road.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5273