Topic: gas tank fuel line

dso72    -- 10-01-2012 @ 12:22 PM
  I'm trying to get my 35 back on the road. It has been sitting since 1956. I'm systematically going through the different systems and I am starting to tackle the fuel system. I want to install a new tank and fuel line to carb. I recently rebuilt the carb and installed a new fuel pump and metal line to the carb.
My question is:
Should I install a 1/4 line or a 5/16 line. The car currently has a 59AB engine with no modifications.
All the help and advice is greatly appreciated.

jerry.grayson    -- 10-01-2012 @ 1:27 PM
  1/4 inch is all that will fit and is all that you need.

supereal    -- 10-01-2012 @ 6:52 PM
  The correct fuel line is copper coated steel. C &G has it with the fittings installed. Don't use copper tubing. It cracks from vibration and can cause a fire.

TomO    -- 10-03-2012 @ 9:18 AM
  Roy Nacewicz has a better quality fuel line for your car. It does not rust as fast as the one being supplied by other vendors.

Tom

dso72    -- 10-03-2012 @ 12:44 PM
  Thanks for the help. I will contact Roy Nacewicz for the correct line.
Any thoughts on adding an electric fuel pump to push the gas making it easier for the mechanical pump to pickup the fuel? I would like to go on tours with the car and was concerned about vapor lock.

Oldad    -- 10-03-2012 @ 5:41 PM
  If your car sits for weeks an electric pump will fill the carburetor bowl faster than the mechanical pump. For this purpose I would suggest a push button or toggle switch that opens after release. If you plan to run the electric pump as long as the ignition is on be sure to get a pump that does not generate more pressure than your carburetor was designed to handle or install a fuel pressure regulator. If the fuel pressure exceeds carb specs you will have continous flooding. A spare mechanical pump will suffice for most touring, if you tour in mountainous terrain an electric pump would help with vapor lock.

TomO    -- 10-04-2012 @ 9:07 AM
  Vapor lock is not a common problem with a good fuel pump and push rod. I would forgo the electric fuel pump and make sure that the fuel system is in good condition.

Some of the priming problem after short storage are due to vacuum leaks caused by installing an electric fuel pump and not getting a good seal on the lines attaching the pump. IMHO electric fuel pumps cause as many problems as they fix.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5263