Topic: 1978 California Emissions

Big Red 51    -- 09-23-2012 @ 1:03 PM
  I understand that cars over 25 years old in California are required to have PCV valves. My '53 was born and raised in San Francisco and driven in '78 thru '80 and has a PCV valve even on a rebuilt engine( not hiding smoke emissions). I have looked thru the CA Motor Vehicle Codes and only find that equipment required for Historical Vehicles are two mirrors, muffler and fenders. I am looking for documentation to support the installation of the PCV for V8 Judging purposes. Any one aware of the Code number or even if it is true? Thanks, Don

Henryat1140    -- 10-17-2012 @ 3:43 PM
  I'm pretty sure it will cause a deduction if point judged.

The question of California smog regulations is not relevant.

The basic premise of the V8 judging rules are 'as Henry built them'. If you want a vehicle judged without a deduction which has an odd or unusual feature, it's your (the owner's) responsibility to document that the feature actually was on the car when _built_.

My '36 Phaeton has an Arvin hot water heater which in my heart I feel was installed when the new car left the dealership - it also had a Ford radio and foglights, somewhat a loaded car for the times. But that said, the heater is incorrect and will cause a deduction (as will the extra holes in the firewall).

You can see this is a reasonable position to support the overall Early v8 Club mission of preserving the cars as they left the factory.

Big Red 51    -- 10-17-2012 @ 4:49 PM
  Thanks Henry for your reply. Originally I was interested in the correct DMV code but recently just removed the PCV and restored to original setup so now I am correct again.
Don

trjford8    -- 10-17-2012 @ 5:51 PM
  As Henry said, there's no need for the PCV on a 53 vehicle. Years ago there was a requirement to retrofit the older cars with a PCV. That's when there were a lot of older cars on the road and they had smog inspections on the older cars. That requirement has gone away and you can have your car just like Henry built it. Every now and then there are guys looking for a PCV set up for a flathead. You can probably sell it at a swap meet.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5235