Topic: 1936 Ford temp guage replace

flatfoot    -- 09-20-2012 @ 4:16 PM
  Anyone out there know anything abut the '36 repo temp guage from "Classic Auto Parts, Ok city, Ok Made in Argentina? No directions came with it. I guess you just install it into the waterpump and let rip??!? Anyone ever used one from this group or know of a better one if available? Thanks in advance a lot!

flatheadfan    -- 09-21-2012 @ 11:18 PM
  I can't speak directly to the '36 gauge being offered by Classic Auto Parts. However, from my experience, the Argentina temperature gauges seem to operate O.K. but the red fluid rapidly turns clear making them impossible to read. Obviously, others may have had a different experience.

Tom

trjford8    -- 09-22-2012 @ 8:20 AM
  Unless the Argentine temp gauges have been drastically improved, Flatheadfan is right on the money. The liquid turns clear after a time. If you are not concerned about being 100% original, I would put an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge under the dash.

flatfoot    -- 09-27-2012 @ 9:16 AM

Well, thanks to all ya all. I tried the Argentina guage and it would NOT fit into the back of the dash. It is too WIDE. So, I am not aware of anybody else who repos these guages. Sorry state of affairs. I guess I'll have to get an electric on under the dash Rates, I wanted to keep the dash original.Looking that is. Thanks sto all for your comments.

drkbp    -- 09-27-2012 @ 7:13 PM
  Flatfoot,

The temp tube slips into the gage in the dash. I looked at mine in the shop. It's in a double with the amp in my car. It sounds like you have too large a tube. Is that the problem?

When I got my temp sending unit years ago, the sensor mounted in the left water pump and the tube slides into the existing dash gage. From the sensor to the tube there is a coiled protective wire around it. The gage housing did not come with it. '35/'36 gage would be the same except maybe the face color.

As others have said, it has turned clear years ago but I can still see it after thirty years. I drove that car to the office Tuesday and Wednesday this week and could see the liquid mark with the dash lights in the dark morning. I wish it was like the gas gage where you can add the red liquid and see it better.

Ken in Texas

flatfoot    -- 10-11-2012 @ 9:37 PM
  Thanks for your responce. I did find a company with an ad in Hemming Motor News that restores them. ($198)I know it is expensive, but 5year guarantee. So I think I will send it to them. It's the Williamsons under "instrument restore/replace" in the magazine. I hope it will work and look original. I emailed asking what I get for the price today. I have not received a responce as yet.

keith oh    -- 10-12-2012 @ 8:34 AM
  I got a temp gauge from Macs Parts about 10-12 years ago and it is still nice and red. I also bought some of their red fluid to fill my Hydro fuel gauge, it turned clear in a couple of years, the remainder in a dark brown bottle is still red. Someone made a comment a while back, that Red AT Fluid could be used but I have not tried it nor heard any further comments on it's use.

This message was edited by keith oh on 10-13-12 @ 1:33 PM

keith oh    -- 10-12-2012 @ 8:34 AM
  I got a temp gauge from Macs Parts about 10-12 years ago and it is still nice and red. I also bought some of their red fluid to fill my Hydro fuel gauge, it turned clear in a couple of years, the remainder in a dark brown bottle is still red. Someone made a comment a while back, that Red AT Fluid could be used but I have not tried it nor heard any further comments on it's use.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5228