Topic: Drive pinion problem

pipo,36    -- 09-20-2012 @ 12:46 PM
  I am reassambling my drive gear. Put a new pinion and drive gear with new bearings. How should I made the adjustment of the pinion bearings.How many drag must the bearings have in the cone? I have no checking tool for that.

Leo from Holland.

Oldad    -- 09-20-2012 @ 1:45 PM
  In my experience setting up a ring gear and pinion is a job for a trained experienced technician with the correct tools. I have had personal experience with machinists from your country and they are excellent. I am sure their are also escellent auto technicians in your area who would do the work for a reasonable price

Oldad    -- 09-20-2012 @ 1:45 PM
  In my experience setting up a ring gear and pinion is a job for a trained experienced technician with the correct tools. I have had personal experience with machinists from your country and they are excellent. I am sure their are also escellent auto technicians in your area who would do the work for a reasonable price

ford38v8    -- 09-20-2012 @ 7:58 PM
  Leo, no special tool is required. To set the pinion preload, put the pinion shaft in a large bench vise pointing down, and with both hands, spin the banjo hard. With the correct preload, the banjo will spin one full turn and no more.

Alan

supereal    -- 09-21-2012 @ 10:29 AM
  There was a special KRW tool to set the pinion bearing tension (X-4621) at the dealer's shop. As most of us didn't have access, we used the method quoted by Alan above. The bearing locknuts should be adjusted so the pinion turns with a "heavy drag" and no end play at all. This should be done before inserting the pinion assembly into the banjo. To do that, the banjo must be heated before the pinion assembly is driven down until the bearing cup is against the shoulder of the housing. Put a light coating of gear oil on the assembly to make driving easier. The Ford rear end is a very tough part, and was designed so strict tolerances were not required.

pipo,36    -- 09-22-2012 @ 10:10 AM
  Thank you folks the rear axle turns like a new one.

leo

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5227