Topic: re clutch adj.

monarch 1    -- 09-18-2012 @ 3:43 PM
  As there is a couple new posts on clutches i thought i would add mine.47 Ford My trans would grind into first or reverse and slightly in 2nd sometimes. I had about 1 1/2" play in pedal and clutch would engage about a inch or 1 1/2" from floor. I adj clutch until it would grind no more and shifted easy in all gears. It now works great but i have no free play in pedal. It now engages more near the top when releasing pedal. Is this ok. Thanks

Old Henry    -- 09-18-2012 @ 3:52 PM
  The play that should be 1-1.5 inches is the distance the pedal travels before it even gets to the point of doing anything with the clutch. That's the distance you can move the clutch pedal with your little finger before you start actually getting to the clutch at all. So, it sounds like you've got it right. The risk of having no play at all (as I've defined it) is that the clutch is never fully engaged and the clutch mechanism is always pressing on and riding on the clutch. That's why you need at least the inch - to be sure it's totally engaging.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

monarch 1    -- 09-18-2012 @ 4:00 PM
  If I have 1 to 1 1/2" of play it grinds in gears.If i adj. it no play it works great .??

supereal    -- 09-18-2012 @ 5:14 PM
  It sounds as if a new disk and pressure plate will cure your problem. Wear is amplified by the linkage geometry. When the facing wears, the ability to adjust the clutch becomes difficult. If you do, be sure and have the flywheel refaced.

monarch 1    -- 09-19-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  Thanks for you help. Hard to believe the disk is gone already. 2000 miles. Maybe a pressure plate problem

supereal    -- 09-19-2012 @ 3:25 PM
  The main causes of short life in clutches is misadjustment of free play and oil leakage that softens the disk surface. Failing to have the flywheel surfaced will also be a cause. No clutch should be replaced without having the flywheel machined. Replacing the pressure plate is usual. At least thoroughly scour the surface with a Scotch brite wheel in a drill. When asbestos was banned from clutches and brake linings, the life of each was affected.

TomO    -- 09-23-2012 @ 5:26 PM
  Monarch

Worn linkage or cross-shaft bushings could be causing your problem. Have someone work the clutch pedal, while you watch for movement in the pedal shaft bushings, equalizer shaft connection to the clutch cross-shaft and the clutch cross-shaft bushings. Replace any parts the show wasted motion.

The release fork has a pin that holds it to the cross-shaft and that can also wear.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5219