Topic: 160 vs. 190 degree thermostats

daoust    -- 09-16-2012 @ 5:14 AM
  OK, I've solved my overheating problem with a re-cored radiator. She now runs maybe 160-170 max.

In my earlier post I read about folks using either 160 or 190 degree thermostats.

Something isn't making sense to me. If I have 190 degree thermostats and my temp is never getting to 190 wouldn't that mean that the thermostats are never opening thus no circulation at all? Would I be better off switching to 160 degree thermostats?

Can someone explain why one might choose one over the other?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

Thank you.

David Daoust

kubes40    -- 09-16-2012 @ 5:26 AM
  David,
Thermostats are deigned to "trap" the coolant within the engine block until that coolant reaches a prescribed temperature. Once that temperature within the block has been reached, the thermostats open and allow the coolant to flow through the entire system which of course includes the radiator.
If your engine is now running between 160° and 170°, then I might suggest you do nothing more.
The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.
Me? I run 160° thermostats in all of my restorations and get very good results. I have always been of the school that if the engine and cooling system have been properly rebuilt / prepared, there is no need for overflow tanks, high volume water pumps, etc. Those are little more than BandAids utilized to mask the real problems.
Similar to the usage of 8v. batteries for guys with cars that don't start well... nothing more than a BandAid used to mask an electrical problem.

40cpe    -- 09-16-2012 @ 6:30 AM
  My observation of thermostats is that they will start to open well below their rated temp, and are designed to be fully open at the rated temp. I had 160* stats in an OHV car and it only got to 145 in the winter. I had to put 180 in to get to 160.

Old Henry    -- 09-16-2012 @ 1:38 PM
  The Operator's Manual for my '47 says regarding thermostats:

"Starts to open - 150 to 155 deg
Fully open - 170 deg."

Looks like Mr. Ford recommended 160 stats rather than 190's so that's what I use - 160's. Still get plenty warm in the winter to burn us out inside. Gives a little "headstart" to the cooling system in the summer so maybe won't end up so high.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-16-12 @ 1:38 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5204