Topic: 38 ford clutch will not disengage

jccorbin    -- 09-15-2012 @ 8:54 AM
  38 ford....I drove the 38 a couple miles last week and noticed that when I first shifted into first there was a little resistance and slight gear "buzzing". When I went to take it out yesterday it would not go into first at all. I thought it might just be sticking a bit so I tried to start it in first with the clutch fully depressed, no luck, it would not release. The adjustment looks OK with about 1" of free travel. The linkage looks fine and the clutch feels normal. The rod has about 1/4" thread protruding from the clevis so there is enough room to adjust it. I try to drive it at least weekly and I've never had this symptom before. My concern is that it deterioted so quickly.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......Thanks......Jerry

supereal    -- 09-15-2012 @ 12:25 PM
  From here, it sounds like your disc is sticking to either the flywheel or pressure plate. It can happen to cars that sit for a while. Also, carefully look into the inspection hole in the flywheel cover to see that release bearing is moving the full stroke. If not, suspect a pin in the linkage or the release fork has sheared.

jccorbin    -- 09-15-2012 @ 1:03 PM
  I have now taken all the play out of the clutch pedal with the same results. The only information/diagrams I have are from the 1932-1941 Ford Service Manual which is of little help at best. I have not been able to find any additional information on the internet nor have I been able to locate the inspection hole......Jerry

Stroker    -- 09-15-2012 @ 1:46 PM
  Jerry: To access the inspection hole, you need to remove the front floormat, wooden
floorboards, and the metal center section of the floor. This will expose the top of
the transmission "bell" which has a small inspection plate. I'm wondering that perhaps
the clutch disc is hanging up on the transmission input splined shaft due to corrosion
or lack of lubrication. As Super stated, it is either dragging on the flywheel face,
or the pressure plate face.

jccorbin    -- 09-15-2012 @ 3:02 PM
  Thanks......I cranked it in first with the clutch depressed and when it started the clutch popped free. I drove it around a bit and, once again, it feels perfectly normal. I think your are right that the spline/clutch is the issue. At least I can get it to where I can work on it.....Thanks again.....Jerry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5200