Topic: Cooling system flush method

DEAN333    -- 09-13-2012 @ 10:25 AM
  Sending my pumps to Skip..late '36...going to use Sierra antifreeze and demineralized water....best method to flush system? Are there plugs in the rear of the block to remove and backflush? 21 stud 85HP

TIM CARLIG

Old Henry    -- 09-13-2012 @ 2:02 PM
  I use this Prestone Flush N Fill kit. Works good for me. Plumb the T into heater hose coming out of the top of the engine. Remove the thermostats. http://www.prestone.com/products/print/461?popup=1

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-13-12 @ 2:19 PM

Oldad    -- 09-13-2012 @ 7:42 PM
  If there is a build up of calcium deposits from using tap water over 60-70 years will flushing clear it? In my experience, the best way to get the crud out of cast iron heads and blocks was a hot tank, but of course this can be done only on a major overhhaul. Some years ago there were several companies that sold a can of radiator flush where you would drain the radiator, refill with water and a can of radiator flush, run the car several times at operating temperatures. Then drain, flush and refill with distilled water and anti-freeze.

Old Henry    -- 09-13-2012 @ 8:48 PM
  Oldad, the backflush you're talking about is what the Prestone Flush N Fill kit does. And the "potion" you put in and then drive the engine for 3-6 hours before back flushing is the Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner here: http://www.prestone.com/products/print/379?popup=1

Some guys just put vinegar in the radiator and drive it a while to eat away the calcium and swear by it. I'm a little squeemish about pouring acid such as vinegar in. The Prestone stuff is non-acidic and I've seen it totally irradicate the "cauliflower" that has grown on the ends of the radiator tubes. Still, some radiators just have to be removed and rodded out or re-cored if they're too bad.

Old Henry

supereal    -- 09-14-2012 @ 8:17 AM
  If you put anything strong enough to remove hard lime deposits in your cooling system, first order a new radiator and heater core because you will need them when the cleaner produces pin holes in them. We put all blocks in our hot tank which contains a caustic solution. It takes days to get much of the deposits out of a block, so simply running vinegar, etc, a bit is largely wishful thinking. If your cooling system is failing, it is likely the radiator is due for a change.

DEAN333    -- 09-14-2012 @ 9:58 AM
  My engine DOES NOT run hot. I am having my pumps updated for better flow and because the right pump is dripping. I will drain the system and put in the Sierra, don't plan to use any flush additives.

TIM CARLIG

Old Henry    -- 09-17-2012 @ 7:33 AM
  PLEASE NOTE: I take back all I said about the Prestone Flush N Fill kit. I was just about to do it again on my flathead and realized that it will only work on the right side that has the heater hose - will do nothing for the left side since they are not connected in any way. Guess I'll just drain the cleaner out and re-fill to rinse. Kinda disappointing to think that all of the crud the cleaner may have loosened is not likly all to drain out of the drain plug. I'd have to remove the lower radiator hoses to get any more out. Darn.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 09-17-2012 @ 11:40 AM
  Just received this private message on this subject:

Hi Henry,
Would it work to temporarily move the right side block heater hose valve to the left side & unod to bottom radiator hose to do the flush and then relocate it to the passenger side?

I am about to replace my hot air heater with a water heater and am trying to clean out the system at this time.

Sent this reply:

I was actually thinking of doing that very thing except you wouldn't need to move the heater hose, just figure out a way to plumb the garden hose into the left head. There's a blank fitting in front of the radiator hose outlet that you could screw a pipe into then clamp the hose onto. Or, remove the temperature sender on that side and plumb in there. (It would be a little easier than getting to the one in front of and under the radiator hose and behind the oil filter.) Wouldn't really need to remove any radiator hoses or the thermostats. Leaving the thermostats in would force the water backward through the block and up through the radiator so it all flushes out the top of the radiator. (Enough would go through the thermostats to rinse out the upper radiator hoses too.)

Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-17-12 @ 11:42 AM

Old Henry    -- 09-19-2012 @ 11:04 PM
  I just posted this on the Ford Barn showing how I backflushed my 59A-B engine as suggested in the private message above: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=502383#post502383

May be worth a view if you want to see how it's done.

Old Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5190