Topic: 3rd brake Light

c-gor    -- 09-13-2012 @ 10:03 AM
  Looking for suggestions/comments regarding a supplier of a 3RD brake light to fit the split window on an early Ford

supereal    -- 09-13-2012 @ 10:18 AM
  I bought mine from www.brakeflasher.com It is an LED bar and can be mounted in the back window with the supplied suction cups or, as I did, atop the rear license plate. It is a very bright unit, even on 6 volts, and the split window shouldn't be a problem. If you have turn signals, it can be divided in half for each side. When you use the brakes, it first flashes, then goes solid red. Given the fact that the stock brake lights on old Fords can hardly be seen, particularly in daylight, this addition is a wonderful investment in safety and could save you and your car from disaster. I've had one since 2007. For the record, I hold no interest in the company.

c-gor    -- 09-19-2012 @ 6:08 AM
  THank ypu for your suggestion

Steves46    -- 09-19-2012 @ 4:51 PM
  J & L Enterprises also makes a nice 6-volt LED 3rd brakelight (jandlenterprise.com) and although it has the capabilty of also performing as a turn signal, I have been unable to get mine to work with the turn signals and I think it has to do with LED not drawing enough current for a normal 535 flasher. A no load type would work however 6 volt versions seem to be nonexistent. Despite this, it works great with the brakes.

supereal    -- 09-20-2012 @ 8:56 AM
  The LED brake light should be wired directly to the stoplight switch side that is activated when the brakes are used if you have turn signals. To use the stoplight power furnished to the bulbs, you need to put a diode into each wire to the stop lights. In most cases, LED lights don't draw enough current to make the flasher respond. This can be remedied by placing a resistor in parallel with the light to increase the load. I don't recall the exact value of the resistor we used. We just kept trying them until we found the right value. Finding flashers for six volts is getting tough. There are 12volt types tha will work with mixed lights.

JM    -- 09-24-2012 @ 2:35 AM
  I also have the J&L Enterprises 3rd brake light. Works very well in my 35 sedan. I do not have direction signal lights yet so have not encountered that problem. This 3rd brake light has probably saved me from having some rear end collisions.
I have it setup so that it can be removed from the rear window an placed behind the rear seat for judging at shows but now I just leave it in place and don't worry about what the judges may say. Safety means more to me than awards .

JM

This message was edited by JM on 9-24-12 @ 2:44 AM

butchbov    -- 10-10-2012 @ 9:15 AM
  I have 3 friends all running the J&L 6v light with no problems & they didn't have to do anything extra to make the turn signals work.

I run the 12v version with no mods either.

Steves46    -- 10-11-2012 @ 6:03 AM
  The problem I was addressing earlier was with a 4-wire turn signal switch. I changed it out with a 7-wire swithc and it works great.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5189