Topic: Water pump installation

scott554    -- 09-12-2012 @ 2:48 PM
  Ok heres my last shot at this problem, I have a 1950 Ford Custom with a flathead V8. The only thing left to do was have the waterpumps redone by Skips and install the new radiator, I removed the pumps and did not block the engine I was told, and now I am unable to put them back on, I have tried to raise the front of the motor up easy at the cornors of the pan but the engine does not move an inch, I have even loosened the Trans mount but no movement. I need the motor up by like a 1/4 inch to clear the front engine mounts on both sides. I have tried to other sites and been told everything I have done wrong but no answers to the problem,any help would be appreciated since I have been trying everything to fix for 2 weeks now.
Thanks Scott

supereal    -- 09-12-2012 @ 3:00 PM
  Find a thick wooden board, such as a piece of 2x12, and place it under the flat under surface of the oil pan. Using a floor jack, raise the engine enough so the water pump motor mounts have enough clearance to be put in place.. With the mount fasteners in place, gently lower the engine and cinch down the mounts. Unless something is blocking it, the engine and transmission should have plenty of flexibility to get the job done.

DEAN333    -- 09-12-2012 @ 4:35 PM
  Hey Superreal, I'm getting ready to pull the pumps on my '36 85HP......do I need to support the engine befor taking the pumps off?

TIM CARLIG

DEAN333    -- 09-12-2012 @ 7:00 PM
  Duh!! I had a brain fart! My pumps are in the heads...in and out! Sorry!

TIM CARLIG

supereal    -- 09-13-2012 @ 10:26 AM
  I'm not immune from those, either, Tim. I assume you are aware that there are pumps with an advanced design available that increase circulation for the in-head models. I believe Carpenter and Drake have them. I don't know if C&G has them, but you can check at 800/266-0470. I've been accused of shilling for C&G, but we chose them because they have very few backorders, and will be candid about it if they are out of stock. Too many other sources were unreliable, backordering, and some were peddling junk.

DEAN333    -- 09-13-2012 @ 5:14 PM
  I'm sending my pumps to Skip for updating...

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5187