Topic: Silicone brake bleeding.

Gary M.    -- 09-09-2012 @ 6:54 PM
  Well boys I think I may have broken a record! My goal was to convert my brake system to silicone DOT 5 brake fluid. After changing all the brake components, hoses, washers, gaskets, Cylinders, etc. flushing all steel lines with alcohol, I started the bleeding process. I started with a vacuum bleeder in the correct sequence, when I achieved about half of a peddle I then began the pump and hold method. Continuously filling the master and bleeding in sequence I successfully achieved a very high, rock hard peddle. Not only did I get a great peddle, but I did it with only a half quart of DOT 5 fluid. At $30.00 a quart that is a great savings!! However,I have a tall container of DOT 5 from the bleeding process which Im reluctant to dispose of. Since DOT 5 does not absorb moisture like DOT 3, Is it possible to reuse the bled fluid after straining it through a very fine filter (coffee filter) to remove any debris? Im sure it has been attempted but I could just as easily toss it if its dangerous to reuse.

supereal    -- 09-09-2012 @ 7:06 PM
  Hey Gary! Good for you. Let us know if the system continues to work OK. As for used fluid, it isn't good practice to reuse it, as it is virtually impossible to filter moisture, or minuscule particles. The unused fluid should remain good if kept in a sealed container.

alanwoodieman    -- 09-10-2012 @ 5:56 AM
  use it in another non siliconed brake system after straining, makes a great rubber lubicant for mounting tires , softens the bead

flathead4rd    -- 09-10-2012 @ 10:49 AM
  Since silicone brake fluid does not absorb water like DOT-3, I don't see any problem with filtering it and re-using. The major problem with silicone is avoiding air bubbles in it. When bleeding use slow strokes when pumping the brake pedal to avoid this.

Gary M.    -- 09-10-2012 @ 6:57 PM
  I have been mulling this over for years whether or not to switch to DOT 5 . The deciding factor was when I lost my brakes on my way to our annual V8 picnic. So over the years I have been listening to the ups and downs of using DOT 5 and the process of converting the system. Mostly I have heard more negatives than positives. For example, difficulty in bleeding, there will always be a softer peddle then DOT 3, leakage problems, DOT 5 is very expensive, etc... The only one of these things that I found to be true is that DOT 5 is very expensive, but well worth it if it preserves the brake system components and doesnt need to be flushed because of moisture absorbtion. I did not experience any of those other problems, and Ive never had a better or harder peddle.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5171