Topic: Convertible top fluid and filling

deepsky    -- 09-06-2012 @ 3:02 AM
  I'm about to jump into the fray with a 1946 convertible. This had an older restoration, and even though the top cylinder was rebuilt, and all the lines are in, the former owner didn't care to put the top down, and never actually filled the system with fluid. He said the hydraulic fluid smelled bad. Do people use ATF nowdays? Or is there something even better? Any help would be appreciated, I want some top down fun.

supereal    -- 09-06-2012 @ 7:05 AM
  I use ATF in my system. The original used brake fluid, and if the system hasn't been completely rebuilt, it is likely seals have become stiff and not hold pressure, and leak. Many didn't use the system because the pump had frozen was damaged. Many of the convertibles come to us with the cylinders disconnected from the top so it could be lowered by hand. I'd bet the former owner couldn't make it work, but good luck. You may be the exception.

JT Ford    -- 09-06-2012 @ 10:51 AM
  I just changed my '49 over from brake fluid to ATF.
The brake fluid was a mess, one cylinder was not going, up and down the same as the other one. Got 2 new cylinder, change the short hose from the pump to the steel lines that go to the trunk. We blew the line out with air and refilled with ATF. My advise is to
call Hyro-E-lectric in Florida. Phone number is
941-639-0437. Ask for a tech, they really know their
business. They have all the parts to make it work.
Or they can sell you a completelly new system that mounts in the trunk.........Good Luck

deepsky    -- 09-06-2012 @ 5:48 PM
  Thanks guys. The previous owner is super reliable, so I am sure the system was rebuilt, but it's been a while. I'm guessing I shouldn't risk it, and get the cylinders checked before using it. Would this also include the pump? Is there an easy way to operate the top manually until I can get this done? Thanks for putting up with newbie questions, I really appreciate the first hand knowledge here.

supereal    -- 09-07-2012 @ 10:54 AM
  Like JT, I used Hydro-E-Lectric as a source for a pump and cylinders. The pump is mounted ahead of the spare tire, under the top well, where it can't be seen. The system works well, but is fairly slow. Be sure you have the long springs that attach between a bracket on the floor and the top mechanism. These springs act as a counterbalance to assist in operating the top. You can just pull the top up by hand until you get the parts.

This message was edited by supereal on 9-7-12 @ 10:55 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5154