Topic: 32 Model B conversion to V8

DEAN333    -- 09-05-2012 @ 11:36 AM
  I am considering acquiring a 4 cylinder Model B with the intention of converting to a flathead. What all is involved in putting in the Ford V8? Trans, Rear end, Speedo?

TIM CARLIG

mdurhan    -- 09-05-2012 @ 2:43 PM
  First, let me say I am no '32 expert. Secondly, let me say I have read enough here on the forum to procalim that if you want a V-8, then buy one. By the time you correctly convert a 4-banger to a V-8, you will have gone through more than changing a Model A to a V-8.

The 21st Century American Dream: A disibility check.

mdurhan    -- 09-05-2012 @ 2:44 PM
  First, let me say I am no '32 expert. Secondly, let me say I have read enough here on the forum to procalim that if you want a V-8, then buy one. By the time you correctly convert a 4-banger to a V-8, you will have gone through more than changing a Model A to a V-8.

The 21st Century American Dream: A disibility check.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-05-2012 @ 3:57 PM
  A couple of important questions. Are you building a “resto rod” or doing a restoration? Is your V8 21 or 24 studs? I am considering doing this myself. I am sure I missed a few. There was a post on fordbarn.com about a year ago on this topic.
The following changes need to be made when replacing a Model B with a V8 (21 stud, others will require a few more things):
No change to rear end or speedo gear.
Of course engine, motor mounts
Muffler and exhaust system before muffler (same after)
Radiator
Engine steady rods
Hubcaps
Starter switch (if it is early B with pull starter)
Transmission (gears interchange but cases are different)
Choke (B is a cable, V8 is a rod)
Accelerator linkage
Engine splash pans
Gas line needs to be routed from right on Model B to right on V8
The B will have a few extra holes in the firewall pad from mounting the 4 cyl engine snubber
Need to add emblem to headlight bar
Speedometer will probably be 80 MPH on the B and should probably be 90 MPH on the V8
Need to accept the fact that the serial number (VIN) is for a 4 cylinder
I hope you have a copy of "The 1932 Ford Book"

Interesting to note the increase in value for the car is about the same as the cost of making the change

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-5-12 @ 4:02 PM

Stroker    -- 09-05-2012 @ 4:10 PM
  Well, I did that in the mid-fifties. But mdurhan's admonition applies to today (the 21st Century). The vehicle, if it's a nice, original example will lose value, because it is
not a model 18. A well-tuned Model B is a very good engine, much improved over the Model
A. The addition of a 33-34 fully counter weighted crank would make it even better, and
would not detract from it's apparent originality. If you're after speed, consider the
Riley two-port, or four-port head conversions, or a Miller-Schoenfield/Cragar ohv conversion. These vintage improvements will outrun most modified flathead V8's.

But...if you insist, it would be useful if you could find some 32 Model 18 front motor mounts. These bolt into the two "mystery holes" just inboard of the water pumps on a
24-stud, or just outboard of the timing cover on a pre-37 21-stud. These will allow you
to use the stock front motor-mount holes in the cross-member. Just about any V8 transmission will do, but you will need to install a "biscuit-style" rear motor-mount
to the V8 Transmission in place of the original. The firewall-mounted "stabilizer" that
hooked to the rear of the Model B engine will have to be removed, but the rest of the drive train will fit-up. You will also have to drill an ugly hole in the headlight cross-bar to install the obligatory "V8 emblem".

Now.....If I were to find a nice Model B Ford today, I would keep it that way, unless I lost my marbles and decided to build another "Street-Rod".

Stroker    -- 09-05-2012 @ 4:23 PM
  Well Charlie covered the details very well. If you are wanting a "vintage car", then in todays's market the conversion is not a good trade-off. If you are building a "street rod", then why stop at a flathead?.

DEAN333    -- 09-05-2012 @ 6:46 PM
  Thanks for all the great feedback guys! It is a nice stock original so I will leave it that way if the deal goes thru.

TIM CARLIG

CharlieStephens    -- 09-06-2012 @ 11:51 AM
  Tim, I think you made the right decision. I should probably add a little background to show why I was even considering the question. I restored a Model B roadster in the early seventies. I used a frame from a V8 with the V8 serial number. A couple of years later I decided I need a little more power and reliability (probably a bad decision) and installed a 4 cylinder Chevy II engine. When I made this change it required no irreversible changes and I kept all of the Model B parts. In the 1990’s a good friend tried to convince me to make it a V8. He sold me an original engine and a many of the other parts that were V8 unique. So now it is 2012 and I would like to return the car to original. I have all of the parts to go either way and just need to get started. If I had a Model B engine in the car now I would leave it as you have decided to do. At a show as many people will look at a well restored Model B as look at a V8.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 9-6-12 @ 1:09 PM

3w2    -- 09-06-2012 @ 6:14 PM
  I've had at least my fair share of both '32 Bs and V-8s and one considerable virtue of the B engine is that it is so much easier to work on should the need arise, plus the parts all cost considerably less, especially when compared to original '32 V-8 parts.

CharlieStephens    -- 09-15-2012 @ 5:50 PM
  One final thought, the easily rebuildable cast iron carburetor on the Model B might be nice with todays gas.

Charlie Stephens

sturgis 39    -- 09-16-2012 @ 4:14 PM
  I have a Charlie Zapp Reilly two port on my model "A". It will out run my 39 ford two door sedan. Going up hill the model "A" does not have to shift. The V8 needs to be shifted. I love both cars but the Model"A" has a lot of torque. The engine is a stock model "A" engine and the 39 is suppose to be a 24 stud 39 to 48 Mercury.

The Model "A" with the overhead conversion gets a lot of comments. The 39 weighs more than the Model"A".

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

This message was edited by sturgis 39 on 9-16-12 @ 5:11 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5153