Topic: Grease in my Steering Gear

DHunt    -- 12-29-2009 @ 6:15 AM
  While servicing my 34 Ford I purchased about 6 months ago I discovered grease in the steering gear instead of gear oil.

I know this is a problem but can someone remind me why?

What is the easiest why to remove the grease. I don't see a drain plug on my steering box.

Thanks for your help

David Hunt

Kingwood TX

Houston TX

alanwoodieman    -- 12-29-2009 @ 6:29 AM
  is the grease hard? did you take off the adjustment cap and look into the box? to clean this box out, the easy way is to remove the box from the car, but that is a hassle also. Try to remove as much grease as possible and refill with with kerosene or a grease cleaner and drive the car or at least heat up the box to soften the grease, but remember these gear boxes leaked all the time and that is why grease is in there now.

DHunt    -- 12-29-2009 @ 6:41 AM
  Alan,

The grease isn't hard and appears relatively fresh.

I have only taken off the filler cap at this time. I tried removing the adjusting cap but it hits the frame before coming completely out.

Other than some moderate steering play I don't have any steering complaints..

David

wmsteed    -- 12-29-2009 @ 8:34 AM
  Using chassis lube grease in steering gears is a procedure almost as old as the car (s) the grease is found in.
I have responded to this question many times over the years...
When I was a kid working in service stations in the late 1940's/50's, it was SOP to use chassis lube in the steering gears, then the customer did not complain about oil leaking out of the steering gears.
Of course the steering was very heavy when the temp hit .40 below, but it did not really matter because everything else in the car was near froze tight.
I now prefer "Motor Honey/STP" in steering gears, it is slow to leak out, yet it lubes the gears better.
If you like to abuse yourself you can tear the steering gears down to remove the grease, put in new seals/gaskets, etc., reassemble, and install 80/140 gear oil, which will seep out onto the garage floor.
After several postings to the EV8 Forum asking how to stop the oil leakage, you will revert to "Motor Honey" or chassis lube.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

51f1    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:03 AM
  I've seen several of the older "old-timers" (we're all old) write about using grease in gear boxes to prevent leaks. I'd prefer to fix the leaks and use synthetic gear oil, but the grease will work.

Richard

supereal    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:34 AM
  Putting chassis lube in steering boxes was standard practice years ago. It did stop, or at least slow, the leakage, but the downside is that the worm gear would develop a flat spot where most of the wear occurs due to lack of lubrication as the grease was pushed aside. I like Bill's solution, as we added gear oil to the grease to provide the necessary oil film. If the grease has caked in the box, use a heat gun to warm it up. Given enough time and heat, you will get most of it out with some solvent, such as WD40, and a suction gun. We installed many of the replacement base plates with a tube attached that extended up into the box, beyond the oil level. That was the best "fix".

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-29-2009 @ 11:19 AM
  hi DHUNT
I use the modern CV grease used in the front wheel drive axles,in my cars,
these joints take a beating,the grease is made to be moved around, without any harding,
I believe this grease also has graphite in it to aid in lubrication,
you can buy a squeeze tube,in just about any auto parts stores,
as far a taking the steering box apart, is a lot of work , I would add grease as you drive and add to when you service your V8,
you might be able to remove some by leaving the plug out , with car jacked up swing the wheel from one side to the other, and see what this will do,maybe a little old grease will come out,making room for some new CV GREASE,,,
you have to remember how many miles do drive it each year,
I had my V8 since 1975 and never had any steering gear problems,
hope this helps,
37RAGTOPMAN

42wagon    -- 12-29-2009 @ 11:22 AM
  There is an old saying that if a car from the 30s or 40s doesn't leak oil it must not be a Ford. Oil was cheap and many garages had dirt floors so who cared? The only way I know of to stop the steering gear from leaking is the aftermarket baseplate with a tube welded to it that Supereal is referring to. It works for Model As so should work for our V8s.
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-29-2009 @ 3:30 PM
  hi
usually were the sector shaft is there is a seepage,
FORD only used a cork gasket on the early FORDS,and later went to a more modern seal,
I know MODEL A used a cork, you might be able to replace this in the car with out to much problems,
you will have to rmove the steering shaft arm,
maybe only held on with one bolt,
hope this helps,also the FORD SERVICE MANUAL might also come in handy,
37RAGTOPMAN

51f1    -- 12-29-2009 @ 4:10 PM
  This reminds me of an old joke about Harleys that could apply to old Fords: How do you know if your Harley
(Ford) is out of oil? It's not leaking.

Richard

DHunt    -- 12-29-2009 @ 4:33 PM
  Wow I learned alot today about these steering boxes. I particulary enjoyed some of the history too.

I believe I will add CV or "motor Honey/STP grease as required. I don't have any steering box leaks currently and don't want any.

Thanks again

David Hunt

Kingwood TX

wmsteed    -- 12-30-2009 @ 9:33 AM
  I have had excellent results with "Motor Honey/STP" in older steering gears. The stuff is usually so sticky, it flows and puts a nice film on any metal it touches.
I would not use it in an engine....manual steering gears is a whole different matter.
I insert a small funnel into the steering gear access, then after I have warmed the Motor Honey by leaving it sitting in the sun for awhile I slowly pore the motor honey into the funnel, allowing it to flow into the gear box.... Take your time and don't over fill the gear box.
Chassis lube usually has a very stable viscosity, being formulated for winter sub-zero temps as well summer high temps.
Chassis lube also differs from wheel bearing/cup grease in that it is intended to "flow" into tight places, and then stay there.
A lot of the cars I "Play with" are cars that I have drug out of fields, sheds, etc.. In most cases they have been sitting for years, maybe forty plus. I sometimes make the cars run, but not drivable. In some cases I might swap a good running engine into a car whose engine is dead or missing. After replacing and/or adding missing parts I sell the car to someone that is looking for a car to RESTORE.
I am very careful to not misrepresent a vehicle I am selling, therefore, they don't come back to haunt me. me

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=515