Topic: Trunk light

bo8109b    -- 09-04-2012 @ 10:00 AM
  Have two '48 cars with failed trunk light mercury switch cartriges. C&G wants 40 bucks apiece for those little suckers. Are there any cheaper ones out there?

supereal    -- 09-04-2012 @ 12:14 PM
  Radio Shack may have them. They can be fastened to the back of the trunk hinge where they can't be seen, and wired in series to the socket. We have removed and tossed several of the original kind because they tended to stay on when the lid was closed, causing a run down battery. Same was true of the under hood light with a mercury switch.

trjford8    -- 09-04-2012 @ 8:14 PM
  If you are not too concerned with originality you can use the under hood/trunk light from any late model car or pickup. Just change the bulb to 6 volts. They are cheap at your local Pick N Pull.

Old Henry    -- 09-05-2012 @ 7:10 AM
  Here's the whole fixture at Mac's for $26.95:
http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-ford-mercury-hood-trunk-light-c2rz-15a700-a/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1109075/

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

TomO    -- 09-05-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Mercury has been banned from most consumer products (except the light bulbs that don't work) for years. The C&G part is probably not manufactured anymore, therefore will demand a high price.

The trunk light should only come on when the parking or headlights are on and the deck lid is raised. This should not cause the battery to be drained. Mercury switches are very reliable and last many years.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-05-2012 @ 11:18 AM
  I'm not sure why they do, Tom. I suspect that the mercury probably accumulates on the contacts, eventually bridging them. As you point out, mercury is considered a dangerous substance. Even mercury thermometers are considered hazardous waste, and must be discarded using EPA protocol. I recall playing with beads of the stuff many years ago, and coating dimes with it. Mercury was once used as a treatment for syphillis, and hatters used it to treat beaver pelts. They weren't as lucky as we kids, as it was discovered they caused mental deterioration. Maybe that is why, at nearly eight decades, I have trouble finding my keys!

Stroker    -- 09-05-2012 @ 5:15 PM
  Super: You and I are probably ambulatory solid waste dumps. Besides messing with mercury as a kid, you and I probably washed car parts in leaded gasoline. It's a wonder we can still type. Add to that the DDT & other neat stuff like parathion, we should probably be cremated
in outer space. Were it not for all these neurotoxins, we would be rocket scientists, instead of EFV8 enthusiasts, so....consider the loss to the hobby!

TomO    -- 09-06-2012 @ 8:03 AM
  The current generation did not have all of the disadvantages of our age group. They get to breathe clean air, don't have DDT in their food, didn't get the chance to breathe asbestos fibers, play with mercury, eat mud pies made with dirt impregnated with lead and other heavy metals, wear a watch with radium dials and drive a car that got all of 6 miles to the gallon.

Do you think that they will be any healthier at 80 than we are? Just think, with all of the dangers of civilization removed, they will have to die from having no disease.

Tom

trjford8    -- 09-08-2012 @ 8:06 AM
  No, they'll choke to death on their tax bill.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5149