Topic: 1934 Striping/Wheel Color for Black Cars

SteveC    -- 12-29-2009 @ 6:13 AM
  Lately I've seen several unrestored '34 black cars that have Vermillion striping. The color charts seen to indicate Tacoma Cream as the striping/wheel colors. I assume(?)the wheel color for deluxe cars with a Vermillion stripe would be Aurora Red. Thank you.

deluxe40    -- 12-29-2009 @ 10:23 AM
  Here is another black '34 with red wheels and stripes. The fenders, wheels and stripes have been repainted, but most of the body is, I believe, original paint. I too have wondered about the books that say only Tacoma Cream stripes and wheels on black '34 cars.

trjford8    -- 12-29-2009 @ 7:13 PM
  The V-8 Club's 33-34 book does indicate that tacoma cream was the stripe that went with the black car. With old Fords you cannot make statements that use the words "always" and "never". I suspect that if someone wanted to order a black 34 ford and wanted red wheels and a red stripe the dealer would do whatever was possible to make the sale.

ford38v8    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:33 PM
  Tom, I'll take that theory a step farther: I would not be surprised if certain successful dealers were routinely able to place advance orders for some relatively inconsequential variances such as a stripe color. At the same time, I'd also caution anyone who might wish to run with this notion that any undocumented variance will most definitely result in a point deduction on the Concourse. It's one thing to speculate, and quite another to show your proof.

Alan

deluxe40    -- 12-30-2009 @ 9:15 AM
  Perhaps one of the Ford plants bought too much Vermillion paint in 1933 when Vermillion trim was used on black Deluxe cars. If so, they might have had to use it up before switching to Tacoma Cream.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 12-30-09 @ 9:16 AM

trjford8    -- 12-30-2009 @ 7:48 PM
  Al, you're right about documentation, but I would think that a nice "Rouge" car with original paint would have to be accepted as correct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=514