Topic: 42 Ford Tudor Headliner

tex42    -- 09-02-2012 @ 11:28 AM
  I'm in the process of restoring a 42 Ford Tudor (was my wife's Dad's car, we're the 3 owner). I would like to put the headliner in myself (I bought an upostery kit from Mac's) and am puzzeled by how the headliner is susposed to be attached to the rear window. The old one was gone when I dismanteled the car so I'm totaly lost. Is there susposed to be a tack strip around the back window frame? I can only see two places that possably one can be attached. If a tack strip goes there how do you tack it so the tacks are hidden? If anyone has done one before and could talk me through it or even pictures would be helpful. (I have done a 28 Chevy, 55 Chevy, 57 Chevy and 56 Pontiac headliner previously, so I'm not a total noviice).
Thanks, David

kubes40    -- 09-02-2012 @ 1:41 PM
  It is glued around the window opening (the window must be removed)...

tex42    -- 09-02-2012 @ 5:21 PM
  Does it also glue around the top of the rear windows and front window?

kubes40    -- 09-03-2012 @ 6:10 AM
  Does it also glue around the top of the rear windows and front window?

If I recall correctly there is a tack strip around the front window. IF I recall correctly.

tex42    -- 09-03-2012 @ 7:36 AM
  There is a grabber strip above the doors, but no tack strip above the front windshield or rear windows (the car is a 2 door sedan).

kubes40    -- 09-03-2012 @ 8:36 AM
  There is a grabber strip above the doors, but no tack strip above the front windshield or rear windows (the car is a 2 door sedan)

In that case, my reply in regard to the rear window was correct... glue it in. The window must be removed.
If there is no tack strip at the (top) front window, then that too was apparently glued in place. Here too, that would require removal of the moldings and glass.

41-42fordadvisor    -- 09-04-2012 @ 11:23 AM
  The front windshield does not have to come out. The front of the headliner is glued to the top of the shelf where the window moulding attaches. The front windshield moulding helps to give it a finished look. The rear window and seal has to come out. The headliner is glued around the window opening. The rear window seal and window hold the headliner in place. I have taken pictures of my headliner in my 1942 Coupe and am mailing them to you. I am not computer literate and don't know how to E-mail or how to post pictures. Also I think I may have an answer to your other question about what that part is. I will send you a photo copy from the 1942 Ford Body Parts Book. Fred

kubes40    -- 09-04-2012 @ 1:49 PM
  The front windshield does not have to come out. The front of the headliner is glued to the top of the shelf where the window moulding attaches. The front windshield moulding helps to give it a finished look. The rear window and seal has to come out. The headliner is glued around the window opening. The rear window seal and window hold the headliner in place. I have taken pictures of my headliner in my 1942 Coupe and am mailing them to you. I am not computer literate and don't know how to E-mail or how to post pictures. Also I think I may have an answer to your other question about what that part is. I will send you a photo copy from the 1942 Ford Body Parts Book.

Okay, if a guy removes the windshield moldings, what holds the glass in place?

trjford8    -- 09-04-2012 @ 6:35 PM
  The glass is held in place with the windshield gasket. The mouldings fit up against the gasket.
Gluing the headliner at the front doesn't always work depending on the glue that is used. In the past I have drilled small holes in the metal header panel and glued ,then pop riveted the front of the headliner in place. You can then pull back on the headliner to get a tight fit. The windshield garnish mouldings will hide the pop rivets. Not stock, but gets the job done for a nice tight headliner.

tex42    -- 09-05-2012 @ 5:13 AM
  Thanks to all who have commented. You have been very helpful. I like the pop rivit part, will probably try that one.
David

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5138