Topic: Gear Shift Jamming From 1st to 2nd

Steves46    -- 09-01-2012 @ 3:39 PM
  Over the past few months I have noticed the shifting in my 46 coupe has not been as smooth as I'm used to. Today and more than one occasion, when I shift from first to second, it becomes jammed which in-turn forces me to go back into fist and try again. Although I am planning on swapping out the 600w oil I purchased from Macs years ago, I am thinking more and more that I may need to order a linkage repair kit. Before I do so, is there anything I can check to isolate the problem? Many thanks. Steve

alanwoodieman    -- 09-01-2012 @ 4:05 PM
  sounds like a linkage repair kit is needed, but also make sure the shift column is not moving up/down. Make sure the clip is on the shift rod (behind steering wheel), about the only other problem is the trans itself

Old Henry    -- 09-01-2012 @ 6:39 PM
  Make sure the clutch pedal play is between 1" and 1.25". (That's the distance the clutch pedal can be moved with very little effort before it starts moving the clutch.) That can make a lot of difference. Did on mine.

Also, I'd certainly lose the molasses (600W oil) in the tranny. Specs are S.A.E. 80 winter, 90 summer. I use 85W-90 year round. Have had no problem (except when my clutch pedal play was like 10 inches!)

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 9-1-12 @ 6:45 PM

supereal    -- 09-01-2012 @ 9:04 PM
  600 weight oil can, and will, attack the soft metals in the synchronizers. It is just thin asphalt used in very early gear boxes to lessen leakage. Sloppy linkage may be at fault, or the blocker in the side cover of the transmission may be worn or broken, but it is likely an overhaul is due. I'm not sure why any vendor sells that "oil", or any non detergent oil. They should know better.

TomO    -- 09-03-2012 @ 9:37 AM
  Bob, I could not have put it any better. Model A's may have survived with the 600W tar, but not the synchromesh V-8 Transmissions.

Tom

supereal    -- 09-03-2012 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks, Tom. When we disassemble transmissions, we often find that they obviously were neglected at some time in their lives, and run low on oil. Some came in with shifting problems, and other were jumping out of gear. Given that all old Ford transmissions leak, a lot of trouble could be avoided with frequent checking of the oil level. If the synchronizer rings, balls, and springs are worn, or the cluster and main bearings are shot, no amount of adjusting will fix it.

Steves46    -- 09-06-2012 @ 7:01 AM
  In the next couple of days I will be receiving a linkage repair kit. Any special tool or trick when it comes to removing the old bushings from the shifting rods? Thanks.

supereal    -- 09-06-2012 @ 7:08 AM
  Many kits use bushings with brass inserts the must be staked to hold the parts together. It requires care and some improvised tools, in most cases.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5132