Topic: 35 pickup gas tank

40fordor    -- 08-31-2012 @ 3:40 AM
  I have a local friend who's gas tank has rust pin holes on the top of the tank. The tank does not leak at this time but he needs to replace it or repair it if possible. The truck is stock in outside apperance but will never be a rouge canidate or judged, it is a driver. Are there replacement tanks available? A functional tank is his requirement that will not require any major modifications to his truck. Any and all comments are welcome.
Thanks, Don

TonyM    -- 08-31-2012 @ 6:24 AM
  Yes. Several vendors offer them. Check the MAC's catalog on page 88.

78-73B

supereal    -- 08-31-2012 @ 6:32 AM
  If you don't plan to show your car, I'd consider a plastic tank. Mine is from Tanks,Inc, a Yogi's company. It is important that there be no leaks whatsoever in or around your gas tank. Gas fumes are very explosive. Plastic tanks never rust, making them ideal for long periods of inactivity, particularly if alcohol is in the gas.

Stroker    -- 08-31-2012 @ 8:16 AM
  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 35 tank also the seat base?

Brendan    -- 09-01-2012 @ 10:04 PM
  why not repair the tank? i had the tank in my 36 pickup cleaned out and i sealed it , that was 2 years ago no trouble i think trying to make a new one fit will be a lot harder then fixing the old one
Brendan

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

Brendan    -- 09-01-2012 @ 10:04 PM
  only on a big truck

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

40fordor    -- 09-02-2012 @ 4:29 AM
  All responders, Thanks for the inputs. His tank is too thin to be repaired. He said that he was sure he could push his finger through it on the top surface. Mac's tank will not accept a 6 volt sending unit. He would like a plastic tank but Tanks,Inc lists about everything but what he needs. This tank is located under the bed.
thanks again,
Don

tudorbilll    -- 09-02-2012 @ 10:25 AM
  I would try to save it especially the filler opening. I took mine to a radiator shop. they cut out 3 top areas got in and steamed cleaned it welded in patches, slosh it with something it worked you don't see the top so the patches are fine.Also you can bolt it right back in .And this thing was rusty pored over a coffee can full of rust out of it. That was ten yrs ago Doesent leak a bit.Replace the lead washer they work great.

Bill Henline ; Have a good day!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5128