Topic: '36 valves adjusted incorrectly?

Flatbob    -- 08-30-2012 @ 5:10 PM
  Have adjustable lifters in my '36 that I rebuilt; it was my first attempt at building a flathead. I made sure all pistons were at TDC when adjusting valves with heads off but am wondering if both intake & exhaust were on their seats. The engine runs fine but I have low compression on all cylinders (65-90lbs.) low vacuum at around 15" and exhaust doesn't smell right. If I adjusted valves incorrectly would the above mentioned symptoms be what would be expected?

supereal    -- 08-31-2012 @ 6:24 AM
  When adjusting valves, you must be sure the the piston is on TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke, or you will have the problems you mention.

TomO    -- 08-31-2012 @ 7:07 AM
  Bob, you may have adjusted the valves too tight. With adjustable lifters, I like to stay on the loose side of the tolerance, .012 for intake and .016 for exhaust.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 08-31-2012 @ 8:14 AM
  The '36 engine is coming out and am replacing it with an 8EAB. I'll put the '36 engine on a stand and remove the heads and make sure I have the valves adjusted correctly. Once I pull the heads will I have to replace the head gaskets; the engine has a little over 300 miles on it. I'll be putting the engine up for sale once I get it sorted out.

supereal    -- 08-31-2012 @ 10:06 AM
  If it is a good grade of gasket, with that short use, I'd give it a coat of Permatex copper spray and put it back on.

Flatbob    -- 08-31-2012 @ 10:49 AM
  Was hoping you would say that.

42merc    -- 08-31-2012 @ 12:41 PM
  Why are you pulling the heads to adjust the valves?

TomO    -- 09-01-2012 @ 9:30 AM
  Bob, The rings on the engine have not had a chance to seat, so your compression will not be at its max yet. You can adjust the valves by just removing the intake. If you need a chart to determine which valves are on the heel of the cam, so you can adjust multiple valves without turning the engine, I can post one for you.

What issues made you decide to put a later flathead in your 36? Are you sure that you are not asking for more problems by installing the later engine?

Tom

Flatbob    -- 09-01-2012 @ 3:02 PM
  TomO, I would really like to see the chart you're referring to for setting the valves. I know experienced flathead guys can adjust the valves without removing the heads (finger over the spark plug hole, wire tie etc.) but I need to actually see TDC & both valves on the seats. Am going to make improvements to suspension, brakes steering and motivation while maintaining stock appearance. I'm just not satisfied with the way the car performs. Every improvement will use Ford components.As for the compression, if all cylinders were around the same compression I wouldn't be so concerned, but they very from 65-90lbs.

This message was edited by Flatbob on 9-1-12 @ 3:05 PM

flatheadfan    -- 09-03-2012 @ 12:16 AM
  Fatbob-

This is the sequence I use:

When you pull of the intake you will find one of the combinations listed on the left. If you find an “a” set opened you use all of the “a” sequencing. If it is a “b” use all the “b” sequencing and so-forth. sequencing.

Hope this helps. Tom

Valves Opened - Adjust these

a) 4X – 1N 3X- 3N- 8N- 6N- 7X- 2X

b) 8X – 5N 1X- 7N- 6N- 7X- 3N- 2X

c) 6X – 4N 5X- 2N- 1X- 7N- 3N- 2X

a) 3X – 8N 1X- 7N- 5X- 2N- 4X- 1N

b) 6N – 7X 5X- 2N- 4X- 1N- 8X- 5N

c) 3N – 2X 4X- 1N- 8X- 5N- 6X- 4N

a) 1X – 7N 8X- 5N- 6X- 4N

b) 5X – 2N 6X- 4N- 3X- 8N

c) 4X – 1N 3X- 8N- 6N- 7X

TomO    -- 09-03-2012 @ 9:28 AM
  That is the same chart that I use.

The "x" refers to exhaust valve, the "n" refers to intake valves. You can see the intakes open in the ports to verify that you have the correct sequence.

Remember that every change you make from stock will affect another part of the car and not always in the best manner.

Tom

Brendan    -- 09-03-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  when i adjusted the valves in my 36 pickup, i took off the hood, intake and pulled the distributer. then i just did one hole at a time 1 through 8. also i pulled the plugs to role over the motor easier, and to get it on top dead canter and make shire that the valves are closed. good luck, Brendan

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

Flatbob    -- 09-04-2012 @ 3:23 PM
  I've been reading everything I could find on flatheads since '95 and this is the first time I've seen this chart! Thanks, really appreciate it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5125