Topic: Frame Identification

cjc1935    -- 08-28-2012 @ 4:10 PM
  I have an engine, transmission, frame and front end from an antique Ford. The engine serial number is a 1935 number. The last time this engine ran, it was used to power a generator in a dairy barn during power outages years ago and may have been made from more than one vehicle. When I tried to look up the frame number on the internet, I kept getting directed to sites that told me how to find the frame number or sites like Carfax that wanted to give me the vehicle's history. The engine is in great original condition and I am rebuilding it, and I am eventually planning to build a running vehicle out of it all. Can you direct me to a Ford archive, or some other source where I can find out at least what year the frame is and possibly what body type the vehicle was? I would like this information so I can eventually obtain a title for it. The engine also has a tag on it stating that it was rebuilt in Buffalo, NY and I was also wondering if I could find out when that dated from.
Thank you very much.

Stroker    -- 08-28-2012 @ 4:23 PM
  The transmission number (stamped on the top of the bell), should match your frame number, IF they came from the same vehicle. The engine has no serial number, and
since you indicate that it has a re-build tag it is obviously not original to the
frame. VIN tracking sites are of no use when dealing with early Fords, since the "VIN" number concept had not yet been created. Early Fords had serial numbers, with the Frame number and transmission number being the same. Some early Fords also had a body-supplier's identification plate, which is unrelated to the serial number referenced above.

Perhaps a photo of what you have would help identify the components. Posting your frame number (you can "xxx-out" the last 3 digits) would help pin down the build date.

This message was edited by Stroker on 8-28-12 @ 4:29 PM

cjc1935    -- 08-28-2012 @ 6:23 PM
  Thanks for the reply. The frame number is *Z8-2097xxx*. I have photos of it when I got it out of the woods 2 summers ago, but they are not very good. I mostly took them as reference photos for when I put it back together. If you want to see specific parts, I can attach them. The engine is almost completely apart now with only a few valves left to remove before I get it baked. It had a Model A gas tank on it, and you are right about the serial number being on the transmission and not the engine. I have not done this before and I am doing it to learn. It is like going back to school and I am loving it.

Kens 36    -- 08-29-2012 @ 6:30 AM
  cjc,

Mac VanPelt has an excellent site for referencing serial numbers, plus a lot more. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm Based on the number you have found, it is likely your frame is from 1935. Is it possible that your number starts with 18, not Z8?

Determining the body style is likely not possible given the information you have. The serial numbers were sequentially assigned to engine/trans assemblies and relflect no information about the type of vehicle or assembly plant.

Ken

40 Coupe    -- 08-29-2012 @ 6:38 AM
  Your frame serial number is *I8-2097XXX not a Z The I is a stylize number one. This serial number is late 1935 production. I suggest you purchase a copy of the V8 Club 35-36 restoration book. The serial numbers are listed in it. as well as lots of useful information especially since you deal in 35 cars and parts.

cjc1935    -- 08-29-2012 @ 9:36 AM
  Thank you everyone for your help. Once it was pointed out that the "Z" was most likely an "I", and that frame and engine serial numbers should match on an indivdual vehicle, I went back and compared the two and discovered that I had misread a few other numbers through the paint, and they do match.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-29-2012 @ 10:45 AM
  cjc1935

You should enable private messages and add your email address. Finally a general location would be good. From your profile we don't know if you are going to try to register a car built from pieces in California or Afghanistan. Now for my advice to your current problem. If you plan to build a car from pieces go to your local DMV and find out what they are going to require before you get too far. You may need bills of sale for all the major parts and have to post a bond. Talk to someone, get their name and continue to work with the same person as it seems everyone in DMV makes up their own rules when they don't know the answer. One final thought, add up what you expect to spend, it is often cheaper to buy a complete car. Best of luck with your project.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-29-12 @ 3:30 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5118