Topic: Low rpm miss

pittless    -- 08-27-2012 @ 2:28 AM
  What is causing a low rpm miss that smooths out at higher rpms. Some snapping backfires on downhills. ( 59AB recently rebuilt engine with a 6 volt electronic ignition )

joe b    -- 08-27-2012 @ 6:14 AM
  I had this same problem on my '41. The first thing I would check is the carburetor. My problem was the economizer valve. I have seen this before so I removed the carb and put in a new valve. It ran worse and would not idle. A second replacement was slightly better but still not right. I took the carb to a good rebuilder and he put in another made in America valve and Bingo! it runs fine now. As discussed here on other problems these foreign parts a big problem. Anyway I would look at the carb first. Also there are fuel pump checks you can do.
Another thing may be the flexible rubber fuel line that connects the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. The new Ethanol eats these from the inside.
I bought mine from Robert Shewman who advertises in the V-8 Times. It is a bit expensive but he guarantees it for 5 years.

JT Ford    -- 08-27-2012 @ 6:49 AM
  I had the same trouble once, idle was bad and car
would stop at stop signs unless choke was out alittle.
Ran fine on the highway. Turned out a vacum leak with
fitting from the carb to the vacum advance on dist.

keith oh    -- 08-27-2012 @ 8:08 AM
  Check to see if you have carbon fiber(radio noise resistor) spark plug wires which have broken down. These will cause all kinds of insidious problems. Sometimes, in the dark, you can see them leaking sparks with engine running.

supereal    -- 08-27-2012 @ 3:26 PM
  Look for a vacuum leak, such as a cracked wiper hose or loose distributor vacuum timing line. Be sure the retarding passage cap on the distributor is not leaking. You can check for a vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner around suspected areas with the engine at idle. If the engine speed increass, you have found the leak. A very small leak can cause your problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5111