Topic: Holley 94 Float

carman    -- 08-20-2012 @ 8:31 AM
  Working on a really nice 47 Ford flathead V8 , My problem is if I stop fast the idle goes way down and it wants to stall. All other times it runs great, idles ok. I have rebuilt the carb same thing. My question is how do i set the float drop,that seems to be the only thing I cant find in any manual, although I see references to it. Any other suggestions to correct this would be great.

Old Henry    -- 08-20-2012 @ 9:21 AM
  Here are the instructions.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Old Henry    -- 08-20-2012 @ 9:22 AM
  Here is the gauge I made.

Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 08-20-2012 @ 10:35 PM
  I live on a hill and when I leave my house it's downhill for about a block to the stop sign. Many times if I stop too fast at that stop sign my engine dies and I expect it has something to do with the gas sloshing to the front of the carburetor bowl like yours does when you stop too fast. Don't know much to be done about it other than stop slower for both of us - especially going down hill.

Old Henry

ford38v8    -- 08-20-2012 @ 11:22 PM
  I would speculate that a momentary leaning of the fuel/air mixture could logically result from the G force applied to the float in a heavy braking action, but I don't know nuffin'.

Alan

TomO    -- 08-21-2012 @ 9:19 AM
  Float drop is set by the other tab on the float, it is set so that the float will not drop far enough to allow the needle valve to slip off of the adjustment tab.

I could be that your fuel level is set too low causing the problem on a quick stop. My experience has been that a low float level shows up on a turn first.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-21-2012 @ 12:10 PM
  Your idle speed may be set too low. It should be somewhere between 500-600 rpm. Gas sloshing out of the carb bowl is fairly rare, unless the float level is set very high. If it mostly happens when you are headed downhill. the pickup tube in the tank may have rotted off too short to reach the fuel when the tank is tilted. That can result in air reaching the fuel line which, in turn, will affect the fuel pump.

ken ct.    -- 08-21-2012 @ 6:19 PM
  The float drop is not as critical as the float hight.Set hight at 1 3/8" to 1 7/16. the drop only has to be the needle droping down 1/8" thats all it needs to drop to be open. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5093