Topic: Need engine builder

chrismac    -- 12-26-2009 @ 5:59 PM
  I am rebuilding a 1940 V8-85 hp flathead and need a recommendation on a good source for machine work. I need the crank polished, blocked measured and likely bored, valve seats grounds, etc. All to factory specs for a restoration. I am in Indianapolis. Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Chris

oldford2    -- 12-27-2009 @ 4:55 AM
  Many 1940 engines came from the factory with "tin can" sleeves. Does your engine have them? John

BillB    -- 12-27-2009 @ 6:51 AM
  You might give Rich Falluca a call..He's in Skokie, IL NW of Chicago..Excellent machinist. Sight states he's not doing V8's any more..wouldn't hurt to check...

http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/

This message was edited by BillB on 12-27-09 @ 6:53 AM

trjford8    -- 12-27-2009 @ 7:17 AM
  Here's a couple of suggestions. First , if you are a V-8 Club member you can use your roster and contact club members in your area for a recommendation.There's three regional groupsin Indiana with some knowledgeable members. Second, supereal who posts on this site, has a shop in Iowa that will do flatheads.He's a V-8 er himself and stands behind his work.
If you are not a V-8 Club member it would benefit you to join. If you are building a flathead and or restoring a car, this club offers you a ton of good information.The 6 issues a year of the V-8 Times magazine is well worth the dues.

supereal    -- 12-27-2009 @ 9:54 AM
  Thanks, Tom, for the kind words. We do rebuild flatheads, but our waiting list is usually about six months. It isn't possible to know what the rebuild will take until the engine is completely apart. Usually there is a surprise, sometimes a nasty one. We pulled an engine apart this month as the owner had reported a knocking noise. We found that there is evidence the block was frozen and cracked at some time, and antifreeze ruined nearly all the bearings, causing them to spall. A poorly installed sleeve may have been at fault. but a close inspection showed that the block was not a candidate for further use. Nearly half the engines that are brought to our shop have been poorly or incorrectly repaired. With a full rebuild costing as much as $5,000, be sure that the place you choose actually knows how to do it. We don't solicit work here on the Forum, as we have a large backlog, but encourage all to keep their Fords on the road.

RSS    -- 12-27-2009 @ 10:10 AM
  There are two machine shops that do flatheads in NW Indiana, Copes in leroy, and Vansenus in Hammond. Randy

chrismac    -- 12-28-2009 @ 7:23 AM
  It doesn't appear to. I don't see any evidence of a sleeve in any of the cylinders. Are they generally visible when looking at the deck of the block?
Thanks,
Chris

chrismac    -- 12-28-2009 @ 7:26 AM
  I just joined the club and it has been great. Nice people, lots of information and a good web site. I did contact my local rep and await his response. I'm sure he'll contact me. I will look for supereal too.
Thanks,
Chris

chrismac    -- 12-28-2009 @ 7:27 AM
  Thanks!

supereal    -- 12-28-2009 @ 7:47 AM
  If you can't find a competent shop closer, you can discuss the needs with my son, who runs the shop, at 319/338-7140. You might also consult the parts stores in your area. Many know who is best at machine work and rebuilding, although it is always good to get several opinions, as some suggestions are based on personal opinions influenced by patronage.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-28-2009 @ 12:41 PM
  look at the lower end of the bore, sometimes it is easier to see if it has a sleeve. The top will usually show a slight ring around the circuference of the bore, remember we are not talking about a very thick piece

50fordbob    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:32 PM
  For a top flight flathead man call Whetsel Automotive in Greenfield In. Rick has a complete machine shop and has been building engines for much of his life. He is a ford man but does other old cars as well. While your here look up Indiana RG 56 and join us for our monthly meetings and events. We have a nice bunch of members. Bob

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=507