Topic: 38 Shock Links

john38coupe    -- 08-14-2012 @ 8:54 PM
  Installed my rebuilt original shocks and put on reproduction links purchased from Carpenters. Discovered the new links have a shortened thread on the stud so that when you place a split washer on, the nut only threads on half the depth of the nut. I see there was a Running Change in Feb/39 to a shorter threaded stud, but mine to be correct, should be regular length with split & nut. Is this a common problem as it looks like all the typical suppliers sell the shorter thread stud versions. Are NOS links out there?? Looking for two 3 inch center-to-center and two 4 inch center-to-center. Thanks/John

ford38v8    -- 08-14-2012 @ 10:30 PM
  John, the change you refer to was made to accomodate the Mercury tire clearance for 1939. This was one of the many changes over the years that had no suffix letter, the new link just replacing the old with no fanfare. Don't blame Carpenter, as all suppliers are for the most part, ignorant of the change and will argue with you. You just aren't going to find NOS links with the longer thread.
You'll also note that the KRW shock link tool will not work for the same reason, not enough threads, but then, you want to install, not remove anyway. If you did, a pickle fork works, but is a tight fit in there.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 08-15-2012 @ 3:45 AM
  the shorter style use just a Marston nut without a split washer.

trjford8    -- 08-15-2012 @ 6:35 PM
  John, check you club roster for Louis Cote' in Fallon Nevada. He has a lot of NOS parts and may have what you need. Also check with All Ford Parts in Campbell, Ca. as they have a lot of NOS parts.

john38coupe    -- 08-16-2012 @ 4:44 PM
  Thanks greatly, will check both those sources out.

42oink    -- 08-24-2012 @ 6:39 AM
  John, I have a few 3" shock links that are either NOS or NORS, but unused. The thread length from shoulder is 25/64". (I don,t know how long Carpenters are.) As has been noted, a Marston nut is used without a washer. If these are something you can use, let me know. I'm not polished on this email stuff, but try me at ronjeanstal.gmail. Would be interested in how you make out.

This message was edited by 42oink on 8-24-12 @ 6:59 AM

john38coupe    -- 09-14-2012 @ 8:58 PM
  Sorry for such a delayed response as I haven't been on the Forum in some time. Should you still have the links, I would be pleased to discuss details. I tried your email with no luck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5065