Topic: '38 closed car windshield frame fitment

40cpe    -- 08-11-2012 @ 8:12 PM
  I'm starting a new thread from the windshield seal because this is about the fit of the frame to the opening. I bought a frame with much better chrome than the one that came to me on the car. I had new glass put in it and installed the Carpenter seal yesterday. After installing the frame in the car I saw that the lower outside corners of the seal do not meet the body opening. I didn't think much about it because the old one fit about the same. I took it for a drive today and I have wind whistle at the seal gaps. The bottom of the "V" meets the body before the lower outside corners meet the body opening. I can press in on the frame and close the gap, but of course it springs back. My question is how to best correct this? My first thought is to take the frame off the car and try to bend the frame to more of a "V" on the lower corners but I thought I would ask those of you who have seen this before. As I said, the glass is in and it is complete, so I wouldn't want to break it or ruin the frame. What say you? Help is appreciated.

trjford8    -- 08-12-2012 @ 7:30 AM
  If you have an original frame it should fit the opening. Did you remove the header panel to remove the old frame? or did you remove the frame from the hinge and regulator without removing the header panel? If you did not remove the header panel you may have to remove it now to make further adjustments. Behind the header panel the hinges are scr*w*d to the body. The holes are slotted for up and down adjustment to allow for the frame to have clearance top and bottom.

37 Coupe    -- 08-12-2012 @ 7:46 AM
  I posted before the issues I had with the Carpenter seal on my 37 and looks like you are having the same issues. If you had the Drake seal side by side with the Carpenter one you would see how much better it looks and then find out how much better it fits. I could not get the Carpenter one to fit and seal. To those who say Drake does not have this seal in stock you need to run through all the vendors you can come up with,Spadaro,Early Ford in Springfield Ohio etc .and see if someone has the Drake one.Last time I will mention this because I guess some like Carpenter's no matter how bad they leak.Amen

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 8-12-12 @ 7:47 AM

40cpe    -- 05-30-2013 @ 8:21 AM
  I'm reviving an old thread. I had hesitated to take the headliner down to get to the hinge adjustments because it is original and looks fragile. Ford's eliminating the header panel was a bad idea. Anyway, I have it down now, the hinges are loose, and the windshield moves freely in all directions. My question now is about the adjusting process. Is there written instructions? Do I get everything centered and tighten the windshield against the opening with the regulator and then tighten the hinges? The correct process would be helpful.

Thanks for any insight.

trjford8    -- 06-01-2013 @ 7:07 AM
  Get the windshield centered in the opening. I have pieces of thin rubber on the bottom edge of the body to hold up the bottom of the frame for clearance on the bottom of the opening. Shim up until you have equal space at the top and bottom. Once centered in the opening you can now tighten down the hinges. Your rubber gasket will probably never fit perfectly like the original. I don't think Henry's fit all that good either. If they worked like they should, Ford would not have had to install the drains in the corners.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-1-13 @ 7:08 AM

40cpe    -- 06-01-2013 @ 7:28 AM
  Lacking any instructions, I've been working with it trying various tactics to get the best fit. I have a Carpenter seal on it now, and I still have a very small gap in the left corner that doesn't seal against the body, and I think it is the best I can do. I'm going to drive it a little to check on wind noise and whistle. Leaks won't be much of a concern since I don't intentionally drive it in the rain. I have a Drake moulded corner seal I will install if this isn't satisfactory. Thanks for your reply.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5053