Topic: 34 floor mat

carguy    -- 12-25-2009 @ 5:42 PM
  My tan rubber(?) floor mat in my cabriolet is torn over the battery area. I read in the vendor catalogs that the ones who have this mat state that the quality of what they have to offer is not all that good. Is there a quality reproduction anywhere or should I just plan to install carpeting and forget it?

Tom/SC    -- 12-25-2009 @ 6:43 PM
  I used a front mat in my 34 5 window coupe from Dennis Carpenter which I think fits very well. Of course you mnight have to do some trimming in certain areas to obtain a good fit. I find the quality to be very good. Tom

42wagon    -- 12-26-2009 @ 4:39 AM
  Carguy
From what I have read the problem is that the firm making floor mats for all the vendors is still using the original dies and that they have degraded over the years. The firm is reluctant to invest the money for new dies considering the low volume of sales expected.

That said I got a set of mats for my 42 wagon from Lebaron Bonney that are very good
Ted

Model B    -- 12-26-2009 @ 5:46 PM
  The floor mats for the '32 have all but disappeared. I understand that the mold was damaged while moving them from Tenn. to NC. Many of those molds have a lot of wear issues. I hope the demand will persuade the present owner to invest in repairing them. Happy Holidays! Pat

Tom/SC    -- 12-27-2009 @ 10:34 AM
  While it is true that I expect to get the best quality product for my money, I remember well when Dennis Carpenter was not even in business for himself. No knobs ,no floormats, only those used items that we could scrounge from junkyards. Like the afore mentioned 32 mats, we probably will see one day no more 34 mats produced. Not enough demand. If I can take one of Carpenters mats,34,39,40 Ford and get it to fit and look good,which I have done, then what more can I ask for. Anyone who expects these replacement parts to fit as well as the originals did is living in a dream world. You had better buy them while they are avaliable. Tom

carguy    -- 12-27-2009 @ 3:39 PM
  OK guys, thanks. Since it appears that a quality reproduction is not currently available I will repair my current mat as well as possible and cover the whole thing with a custom carpet. I'd rather have a quality non-original carpet than a poor quality reproduction.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=502