Topic: 1950 f5 radiator

jiw1    -- 08-03-2012 @ 3:05 PM
  howdy partners,just started working on my 1950 f5 grain truck.i put water in the radiator to see if it would hold water,it did for three days so i took it to a shop to have pressure tested and found plenty of leakes.the man told me it could be fixed but mighty expensive.so i am looking for another radiator.where might i find one in repairable condition and are they interchangeable f1 through f5?any help or information would be great.thank you, farmer john

alanwoodieman    -- 08-03-2012 @ 3:52 PM
  most of the big truck radiators had four or five rows of tubes, whereas light trucks usually have 3 or 4 rows of cooling tubes

TomO    -- 08-03-2012 @ 4:34 PM
  A radiator for a 1950 vehicle in good condition is very hard to find. Most of them have been used for many miles and have heavy deposits inside, loose fins or leaks due to work hardened copper tubes fracturing.

I would bite the bullet and have your radiator repaired or recored.

Tom

jiw1    -- 08-04-2012 @ 6:40 AM
  i looked at my radiator this morning and found three rows of tubes,so does this tell me i have a lite truck radiator and that it had been changed along the way? this truck has a 239 v8 so can i use a radiator out of a f1?i might have more luck finding a good used 3 row f1 rather than a 4 or 5 row f5.i would like to get a new core but money is a factor and i would like to at least get the truck running to see what other repairs it needs before spending a bunch on one item and not having enough for the other.thanks again and any new info.or ideas are welcome,farmer john

jiw1    -- 08-04-2012 @ 6:42 AM
  i looked at my radiator this morning and found three rows of tubes,so does this tell me i have a lite truck radiator and that it had been changed along the way? this truck has a 239 v8 so can i use a radiator out of a f1?i might have more luck finding a good used 3 row f1 rather than a 4 or 5 row f5.i would like to get a new core but money is a factor and i would like to at least get the truck running to see what other repairs it needs before spending a bunch on one item and not having enough for the other.thanks again and any new info.or ideas are welcome,farmer john

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5018