Topic: Replace distributor on 39 ford

ellsworth    -- 08-02-2012 @ 4:15 PM
  39 distributor

Has anyone used a mallory distributor, not the electronic but the one that uses regular points with the positive ground 6 volt system?

Let me know the results.

I am planning to change to a 12 volt system and want to use my two 6 volt batteries connected in series. They are heavy duty and recently purchased. Any comments?

Thanks

Stroker    -- 08-02-2012 @ 4:29 PM
  To the best of my knowledge, (which is not all-encompassing), the Mallory distributor was only available for the later 8BA series motors. In order to use one on a stock 39, you would have to
convert to a later 49-53 cam with a drive gear in front of the timing gear, and install a 49-53 timing cover. In addition, you will need to make some method to restrain rotation of the distributor head, as you will not have the benefit of the machined "flat" and tapped capscrew location for the original clamp.

These were very well-made distributors, and were used mainly on multiple-carb applications during
the "late" years.

40 Coupe    -- 08-03-2012 @ 4:48 AM
  Two 6V batteries in series is a lot of excess weight, space and acid. When using a series connection any open connections inside either battery will disable the second battery. In addition by placing the batteries in series there is no increase in the CCA ability of the batteries. I believe you will be much further ahead to change to one 12V battery, and the Optima as well as other brands, is dry so no acid leaks. plus the CCA output is exceptional. Optima makes a fine 6V with high CCA output making the change to 12V unnecessary.

supereal    -- 08-03-2012 @ 11:30 AM
  The stock Ford distributor is one of the most reliable type to be found. If you want to use a non stock coil, such as Mallory, obtain an adapter for your distributor. C&G ((800) 266-0470 Has them for your '39 as item# 78-12036-S V8, about $40 with everything you need, including condenser. I agree regarding the series batteries. That can raise problems with internal resistance. I'd go Optima.

TomO    -- 08-03-2012 @ 4:29 PM
  There have been several inquiries about changing to a 12 volt system. There are no inherent advantages to a 12 volt system versus a 6 volt system. Most of us on this forum believe in "If it aint broke, don't fix it". Any changes made to a stock vehicle add to the difficulty in keeping the car running and fixing it when broke.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5014