Topic: Long & Short Brake Shoe

Steves46    -- 08-01-2012 @ 3:50 PM
  Awhile back we installed new front brake shoes on my 46 coupe and although she stops great, it just dawned on me that we installed the short shoe on the front. Although I have not noticed anything different in the braking, can I leave it be or should I correct them?

supereal    -- 08-01-2012 @ 4:04 PM
  The short (secondary) shoe always faces to the rear. Yes, it does make a difference, enough to redo it..

Steves46    -- 08-01-2012 @ 4:09 PM
  Thanks. At least I'll have an excuse to hang-out in the garage next Saturday.

supereal    -- 08-01-2012 @ 7:40 PM
  We usually replace all springs when the linings or shoes are changed. It isn't expensive, and can make a good brake job even better.

flathead4rd    -- 08-02-2012 @ 6:50 AM
  Seems to me there was a discussion on this a while back and the consensus was that on 48 and back the short shoe went to the front and 49 and later the short shoe went to the rear.

Old Henry    -- 08-02-2012 @ 7:09 AM
  According to the green bible the long shoe matches up with the larger diameter end of the wheel brake cylinder as shown in this illustration. Makes sense. Judging by the position of the emergency brake lever on the rear wheel the large end of the cylinder and long shoe is on toward the front.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 8-2-12 @ 3:47 PM

v8teditor    -- 08-02-2012 @ 7:18 AM
  In the July/August V-8 TIMES (That should be arriving soon) is an article about a gentleman in CA now making brake adjusting cams that are the same thickness of replacement shoes meaning NO MORE grinding of the shoes to prevent binding and working properly. Check it out!

TomO    -- 08-02-2012 @ 9:28 AM
  With self energizing brakes, the ones with the starwheel adjuster, the short shoe goes in the front.

The Ford brakes require the longer shoe in the front as the front shoe does most of the braking going forward and the rear shoe does most of the braking going backward.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-02-2012 @ 11:01 AM
  The differences in braking systems are due to a change in manufacturer. The early brake, the ones with the long shoe in front, are Lockheed type. The later, "floating" shoes with the star wheel adjuster, are Bendix type. Most of those use equal length shoes and linings. Much of the confusion results from the odd illustration in the green book showing the short shoe on the front. The long shoe is activated by the larger cylinder piston, providing the bulk of the braking action.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-2-12 @ 11:02 AM

Old Henry    -- 08-02-2012 @ 3:19 PM
  So, it seems that we're all agreed that whether it's front or rear is not as important as matching the long shoe to the larger end of the wheel cylinder? If the larger end of the cylinder is toward the front put the long shoe on the front. If it's toward the rear put the long shoe there?

As I look at the diagram from the green bible again I see that, although the rear brake is to the right as it would be if looking at the left side wheels, giving the impression that the long shoes are on the rear, in fact, looking at the rear brake itself it's obvious from the position of the emergency brake lever that the view is of the right side wheels and the position of the wheels is just backwards. (I changed my previous post accordingly.)

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 8-2-12 @ 3:48 PM

oldford2    -- 08-02-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  Steve,
Check your pm's
John

supereal    -- 08-02-2012 @ 7:34 PM
  If the large end of the wheel cylinder faces to the rear, it is in the wrong position.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5010