Topic: 1936 Ford wiring

36 Road    -- 07-30-2012 @ 6:39 PM
  Help would be appreciated in getting the fuse/resistor wiring and the ignition wiring on the steering column correct. I followed the 1936 wiring diagram but found the resistor became quite hot once the ignition was on. A diagram showing the placement of the color coded wires would be most helpful. Thanks

tudorbilll    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:36 PM
  I beleave you will find this how it works; was it running while it was warm.Look ai the metel protecor around it to keep you and things from getting burned.I have a 35 runs fine that why.Ford made millions of them that way.Drops the voltage to the points so they last along time. Bill

supereal    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:53 PM
  The ignition resistor uses the same wire as a toaster, nichrome, so it can, and does, get near red hot as the system voltage rises. The rise occurs as the generator is run faster by the engine at hiway speeds. Otherwise, the points and coil would be damaged. As the resistor gets hotter, resistance increases. It is a rather simple, but effective voltage control.

36 Road    -- 07-31-2012 @ 7:26 AM
  Thanks for the information about the resistor as I didn't realize it was normal to run hot. When I got the car nearly all of the wiring had been replaced and unfortunately a bad job had been done by an amateur. Unless I get other feedback I'll attach the new color-coded wiring according to my understanding of the Ford wiring diagram. Have a great day!

supereal    -- 07-31-2012 @ 10:01 AM
  Do you have an authentic wiring diagram for your car? Replacement looms often don't structly follow the Ford color code, and may have some circuits that are unneeded. Looms are produced to fit several years, and can be confusing.

36 Road    -- 08-02-2012 @ 11:15 AM
  Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have a reproduction loom including the ones for rear tail lights and horns. I too have found differences in color codes from the Ford wiring diagram and that has made the job harder. I believe I have it wired correctly now. My remaining bug is only having one low beam working.

supereal    -- 08-02-2012 @ 3:12 PM
  As you the dim light on one side, look for an open connector on the link between the headlights. Be sure that both filaments in the non working bulb are intact.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5005