Topic: Gas

Bighorn37    -- 07-30-2012 @ 5:34 PM
  I have a 1937 Ford sedan convertible I just purchased. What do I mix with the gas to run the car?

ford38v8    -- 07-30-2012 @ 5:38 PM
  Mix in a couple or three ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil per tankful. Use regular gas, not premium, and avoid ethanol if you can. No further additive is needed.

Alan

Bighorn37    -- 07-30-2012 @ 5:44 PM
  Thank you for taking the time to answer. As you can tell I am new to this.

ford38v8    -- 07-30-2012 @ 6:01 PM
  Bighorn, where's my manners? I should have welcomed you, encourage you to ask more questions, and of course invite you to join our club, the EFV8CA.

Alan

Oldad    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:20 PM
  Does the 1937 Ford need an additive to cope with valve damage due to unleaded fuel? I have been using an lead replacement additive in my cars built for leaded fuel until hardened valve seats were installed. I support Marvel Mystery Oil and have used it since 1950.

Oldad    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:20 PM
  Does the 1937 Ford need an additive to cope with valve damage due to unleaded fuel? I have been using an lead replacement additive in my cars built for leaded fuel until hardened valve seats were installed. I support Marvel Mystery Oil and have used it since 1950.

Oldad    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:21 PM

ford38v8    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:48 PM
  Lead additives are not needed now. There was but a short period of time very early 50's, I believe, that did not have hardened valve seats. Those engines, if never rebuilt by now, are beyond help from lead additive anyway.

MMO in your tank helps prevent rust from the water in Ethanol, which has become a huge problem in our hobby. A more immediate need for the MMO is to combat sticky valves, again the result of Ethanol.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 7-30-12 @ 8:56 PM

supereal    -- 07-30-2012 @ 9:04 PM
  We install new valve seats in all of our rebuilds, not because of the absence of lead, but because "valve jobs" over the years have used up the original seats, preventing the making of new seats with sufficient valve face contact.If you are having an engine rebuilt, insist on new seats. I'm not against occasional use of MMO, but adding it to each tank of gas invites plug fouling. I use whatever grade of gas that is available, as long as alcohol is absent. Sometimes this is premium grade. Often, this fuel is cleaner than the lower levels, and contains more detergent additive to reduce deposits in the combustion chamber and valves.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-30-12 @ 9:05 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5004