Topic: 36 Cabriolet window channels

Larry Lange    -- 07-30-2012 @ 10:27 AM
  Mine are missing. I believe new ones are available, but how do they attach inside the door? I find what look like factory-drilled and countersunk holes in the back edge of the doors, but the front door edges have smaller holes drilled with no pattern to them. I assume the channels are held to the inside of the door with screws that enter through the front and back but I don't know. Any expertise out there?

Thanks!
Larry Lange, Puget Sound Regional Group
larrylange36@comcast.net

drkbp    -- 07-31-2012 @ 5:55 PM
  Larry,

The front channel (hinge end of door) has a screw about 2 inches down on the front jamb that attaches the top. The bottom has a "chair" that attaches to the inside door panel under the door cover. No hole on the lower jamb.

The back channel has a flat top screw about two inches down from the top and another lower in a dimple, both on the door jamb. The window channels slant toward the outside doorskin at the bottom which lets your window match up with the windshield and miss the door latch.

The riser is a double arm as I recall and there is a stop inside the door to keep the window from going down too far. The floating part of the channels are nearest the inner door panel. You will want to set the window to come flush with the top of the door and the inside garnish molding before putting on the inside door cover. I can't remember if there is a rubber bumper on the stop.

I have a '35 so the bumpers are the short rubber ones. Yours are the longer type. That is the only way to tell the '35 from '36 cabriolet doors that I know of. The channels and windows are the same for both years, maybe more.

Let us know how you make out. Just a question since we are talking cabriolets, do you have the short or tall firewall supports? They are the ones on the front of your firewall and attach to the frame.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 7-31-12 @ 5:57 PM

Larry Lange    -- 07-31-2012 @ 9:05 PM
  Ken, thanks for the channel details. It sounds like the front channels are attached to the inner door with screws (?). I can't find any credible screw holes in the front door jamb, so your description fits. Do you know what type of screws are used (oval head, pan head, etc.)?

Now I'm curious where the stops go, the ones that block the window from going too low. I hadn't heard of those before.

I don't know how you'd describe the firewall supports I have. They measure about 3.5 inches across the bottom and 2.5 inches across the top. They're trapezoidal in shape, with the inner vertical side measuring 8.75 inches high and the outer edge measuring 10" high. This strikes me as fairly "tall" for such supports, but you likely know better.

I appreciate the information, and so will other cabriolet owners.

Larry Lange, Seattle

flatheadfan    -- 08-01-2012 @ 12:16 AM
  drkbp-

Ken- Please check your "in" box.

Thanks

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5001