Topic: 42 Heater

tex42    -- 07-29-2012 @ 5:20 AM
  I'm restoring a 1942 Ford and it originally had a hot air heater. I'm changing it to a hot water heater and in looking at pictures of other 40's Fords it looks like the heater is mounted in the middle of the fire wall. In test fitting my heater I find that it interfears with the cow vent control. Is the cowl vent eleminated when the heater is instlled in this position? I can move my heater over more to the passenger side and still have control of the cowl vent.
David

supereal    -- 07-29-2012 @ 6:04 AM
  Most heaters are mounted to the right (passenger side) a bit, both to clear the cowl vent handle, and to provide clearance on the engine side of the firewall for the hoses and the right side head. There are good pictures in the Club's books. Heaters were dealer installed accessories, and there was some variance in the position.

TomO    -- 07-29-2012 @ 6:29 AM
  Ford provided a template to install the heater. Check with other 42 owners to see if they have one. There needs to be clearance inside the car for the vent handle and under the hood for the wiring harness. The template used the accelerator cross link as a reference point.

Tom

kubes40    -- 07-29-2012 @ 8:53 AM
  Here's a photo of a properly installed heater in a '42 sedan. Hope it helps...

joe b    -- 07-29-2012 @ 10:40 AM
  My '41 heater is installed the same as the photo. It does slightly restrict the cowl vent handle.

42wagon    -- 07-29-2012 @ 1:41 PM
  The heater template has been posted on this forum before. I can't seem to locate my copy this afternoon.

My heater is mounted as shown in Kubes 40's photo. In that position, if it is back the proper distance, the vent handle just clears the front of the heater in the full open position.

tex42    -- 07-30-2012 @ 6:32 AM
  The heater template only works if you have an original Ford heater. I do not. I have two hot air heater and each has different mounting screw and inlet and exit hose positions. I made a template of the heater and a mock up of the heater it's self out of cardbord. When I place it near the center of the firewall it inerfears with the cowl vent control. To get it to clear I have to position the heater way to the passenger side to have it clear the cowl vent handle. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem as I see every other one mounted in the center.

TomO    -- 07-30-2012 @ 8:21 AM
  There is a 46-47 Ford hot water heater on E-bay now. If you are not concerned with originality, that heater should fit and solve the problem with the vent handle.

After market accessories always require that you make some changes to your car to accommodate them. There are so many different after market heaters and all of them were not made to fit Fords, that it is nearly impossible to tell you how to modify your car to fit this heater.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4992