Topic: Gas Tank Sending Unit

MG    -- 07-28-2012 @ 5:08 PM
  I noticed today after filling the tank in my '37, the fuel gauge stopped at the half full mark. I pulled the sending unit thinking that it might have a leaky float. I found the the float is a round piece of cork (pictures attached) as opposed to the sealed metal can I expected to find. I tested the gauge by grounding the wire to the trunk floor and it showed full scale deflection - a Full reading. I fired up my air compressor and blew the sending unit dry and hopefully any debris out of it. Without reinserting the sender back into the tank, I reattached the wire and grounded the unit to the tank. I operated the float lever manually and got the correct reading for full, half-full and empty on the gauge. I reinserted the unit back into the tank and scr*w*d it down only to get the half-full reading I was getting initially. Pulled the unit again and blew it dry but did note the cork float was soaked with gas. So, I decided to check the float operation in a bucket of water and it floated just fine. I guess my question at this point is: Will cork in water have the same buoyancy as it will in gasoline?

I also noted that the cork float had a sheen to it as though it had been treated with some sort of sealant. I'm wondering if I should have to re-seal this cork float after I allow it to dry out thoroughly. Is there a fuel-proof sealant than any of you can recommend?

MG    -- 07-28-2012 @ 5:10 PM
  Here's another picture of the sending unit.

Oldad    -- 07-28-2012 @ 6:26 PM
  Gasoline is less dense than water. This is the reason water is always at the bottom of the sediment bowl. A cork float that will float in water may not do as well in gasoline. Your float may be on the borderline.
You did not say whether this was the original or replacement float, but I had a similar experience on my Model A. The original float was coated with a material that was not disolved by gasoline but it was disolved by alcohol which is now present in pump gasoline. My solution was to get a replacement float coated with a sealant not disolved in gasoline or alcohol.

Oldad    -- 07-28-2012 @ 6:27 PM
  Gasoline is less dense than water. This is the reason water is always at the bottom of the sediment bowl. A cork float that will float in water may not do as well in gasoline. Your float may be on the borderline.
You did not say whether this was the original or replacement float, but I had a similar experience on my Model A. The original float was coated with a material that was not disolved by gasoline but it was disolved by alcohol which is now present in pump gasoline. My solution was to get a replacement float coated with a sealant not disolved in gasoline or alcohol.

MG    -- 07-28-2012 @ 6:41 PM
  Oldad,

The float is original to the car. I wonder where I can get a new cork float that's already sealed?

I'll bet the stuff Buck Rogers space ship was made of -'Impervium'- wouldn't hold up to today's gasoline!

MG    -- 07-28-2012 @ 8:05 PM
  Googled the net and came up with this:

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductDetail/A-9313-C_GAUGE-FLOAT-ONLY?fromCategory=Products/model-a/gas-gauge

It's for a Model A. No dimensions or specifics given. Do you think it will work?

This message was edited by MG on 12-30-19 @ 11:02 AM

40 Coupe    -- 07-29-2012 @ 5:07 AM
  Your sending unit is original early style. Ford did not make this style as a replacement. Make sure there is not the least bit of resistance to the float moving up and down as it could be hanging up. If you replace the cork float, the model A style shown should do a good job as long as it is long enough. Since this new style of float is solid it can be cut to fit even two installed to get the proper length. If you solder the washer on the end of the rod through the float make sure you do it very quickly and have a cold wet rag handy to cool the rod before the float melts they are plastic.

TomO    -- 07-29-2012 @ 6:43 AM
  The Ethanol in today's gas is not kind to the varnish or sh*llac used to seal the cork floats. The Model A float will work better or you can use the brass float used on later sending units by reworking the arm on the sending unit.

Another choice is to find a later sending unit and use it. They are the same up to 1952 except for arm length.

Tom

supereal    -- 07-29-2012 @ 8:53 AM
  You can order a new float for your '37 at C&G (800/266-0470). If you have the 97 carb, the item number is 40-9550-97. If you have the later 94 carb, which arrived in late '37, ask for 78-9550-V8-94. The original cork floats used from the Model A's to '37 were coated with lacquer, which resists gasoline. That is why using lacquer when painting anything exposed to gas is necessary. When alcohol was added to gas, it dissolves the coating, allowing it to absorb gas until it drops. The problem is particularly found with the 97 float, as it is smaller than the later type.

MG    -- 07-29-2012 @ 11:30 AM
  Super - It's not the carb float giving me the problem. It's the gas tank float. Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.....MG

Oldad    -- 07-29-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  MG
macsautoparts.com lists a fuel tank sender float, all brass, for 1936-1955 Fords.
Part # 01A-9202 Price $8.95

MG    -- 07-29-2012 @ 5:17 PM
  @ Oldad - Yeah, I looked at that float in MAC's catalog. I hesitate to modify the lever on my sending unit to accommodate this brass float.

Henryat1140    -- 07-29-2012 @ 8:21 PM
  Just my 2c worth - after fussing with two or three sending units.

I'd suggest you do all you can to salvage and re-use the original unit. If that means grafting a new float, then that's the way I'd go.

The replacement fuel sending units being sold as compatible with the original Ford King Seeley system just don't work well. If you have a unit that you can salvage cherish it. Working original ones are scarce and expensive/

Best Luck

Henry

MG    -- 07-29-2012 @ 8:39 PM
  Yeah Henry, I agree. Those new replacement units are junk. Fortunately, the sending unit I have is still functional and just needs a replacement float. I emailed Snyder's (above) about the dimensions of their Model A float as I'm thinking I can use one or two of their floats to fabricate a suitable replacement float without modifying the sending unit lever.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-30-2012 @ 5:43 PM
  my advice is buy the Snyders Model A FLOAT,
they are made for the modern fuels,.
also is it possible the float is hitting a baffel inside the tank ,
it works outside, does not work when installed,?
maybe the wire rod is bent ?
37 RAGTOPMAN

MG    -- 07-30-2012 @ 10:13 PM
  37RAG

I picked up two of the Model A floats today. It will take two of them to approximate the size of the original cork float. I plan to epoxy the two together to make one float. The original float measured 2-1/2 inches long by 1-3/16 inches in diameter. My new improvised float will measure 2-3/4 inches long and 1-1/8 inches in diameter. See attached picture of new float installed on lever along with old/original float.

The original float was not hitting a baffel inside the tank nor was the wire rod bent.

I'm waiting for the epoxy to setup/dry. I'll let you know how things turned out my next post.

This message was edited by MG on 7-30-12 @ 10:17 PM

trjford8    -- 07-31-2012 @ 7:57 AM
  I would put that float in some gas overnight, just to make sure the epoxy will hold up before putting it in the tank. Most new cars use plastic floats that will hold up to any type of gas.

MG    -- 07-31-2012 @ 12:47 PM
  trjford8,

Not only did I test it in gasoline, I went to my local hobby shop and bought a spray can of clear, fuel proof paint and sprayed a coat on the float as a precautionary measure.

MG    -- 08-01-2012 @ 2:06 PM
  Well, I decided to install the sending unit today. Before the installation I looked into the tank and guesstimated that the tank was about 3/4 filled. I installed the unit with it's improvised float and a new gasket, tightened all screws and attached the sending wire.
I turned the ignition switch to on and bingo, the fuel gauge showed 3/4 full. Started the car and went for a ride stopping off at a gas station to fill the tank. Gauge now showed full tank. Returned home, went into the house, grabbed a Coors and my jar of JD. Poured a good, healthy shot and chased it with the beer. Sat there for a while and contemplated my drive in the '37 to Redmond OR. this Sept. Ya know, I just can't think of a better hobby.

trjford8    -- 08-01-2012 @ 6:26 PM
  MG, we'll see you in Redmond. It will be fun. We are touring through Lassen Park on the way up and Crater Lake on the way back.It don't get any better than that for a tour to Redmond.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4990