Topic: Basic overdrive question

spqr67    -- 07-28-2012 @ 3:17 PM
  Forgive me asking a very simple question right off the bat...I'm new to the Ford family having just picked up a '50 Custom. In going through changing all the basics (fluids, etc), I find I'm stumped on the overdrive drainage. Seems like there should be a drain plug on the O/D as well as the main tranny but I cant locate it. Did manage to find a mysterious hole that I cant identify. I have a bad feeling that the drain plug is missing and the O/D might be fried. Can anyone help me solve this? Pic attached.

40guy    -- 07-28-2012 @ 5:22 PM
  It does appear the plug is gone. It looks like to me the hole is on the side.IPerhaps enough lube was retained so as not to ruin the trans. If the od does not work; don't panic. There are other p arts that could need to be checked. There is a govenor,solenoid,relay and kickdown switch.

spqr67    -- 07-28-2012 @ 7:01 PM
  Dang. Thought as much. I think I caught it in time as she does run and shift. There was about 1 cup of fluid in the pan when I drained it.
I'd prefer not to disassemble the entire trans to clean out the hole. Was thinking I could fill the O/D unit and flush the hole out from the inside. Thoughts on a good fluid to use as a solvent?
Thanks for the help!

supereal    -- 07-28-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  Find a replacement plug and refill the OD. If the unit is damaged, it will have to come apart. If you are lucky, it will be OK. I would'n't attempt to flush the unit with any solvent. This usually loosens any deposits that can be damaging.

ragtop40    -- 07-29-2012 @ 7:03 PM
  Totally agree, do NOT use solvent to "clean" things up. Recently talked to an oldtimer who "flushed" his engine with kerosene. Then, after bearing failure, he completely rebuilt it! That had to hurt...

This message was edited by ragtop40 on 7-29-12 @ 7:06 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4989