Topic: 39 rear tube shock conversion

parrish    -- 12-23-2009 @ 8:39 PM
  1960 front conversion mounts are still on the car minus shocks, but rear had only had the driver side pictured. It sits under the box frame a little bit north of the axle...anybody seen a kit like it?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-24-2009 @ 6:47 AM
  hi
In the picture it looks like it is in front of the rear axle,
but never saw this shock arrangement before,
usually they were in the back of the rear axle.
the bottom of the shocks were attached to the back of backing plate with special nuts-studs with provisions for the shock eyelets,that alowed you to attach the shocks,
and top of shocks were atached to the frame,
I never drove a V8 with this type of shock,
but for sure you need good shocks to maintain the car on the road,
makes a big difference in the handling,
VERY SCARY WITHOUT SHOCKS,

trjford8    -- 12-24-2009 @ 9:52 AM
  I have a pair of those brackets that look the same as yours.I've had them for a long time and don't recall where I got them.I do not have the lower parts either. If you check with C and G Parts I think they carry a rear shock mounting kit for tube shocks for your car.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-24-09 @ 9:53 AM

wmsteed    -- 12-24-2009 @ 10:58 AM
  I interpret the pic is showing a type of conversion to replace the stock rear shocks, which would have been mounted to the lower portion of the frame.
The more common modification mounts to the backing plate, then the shocks lay on an angle, mounting to the rear cross member..... See attached pic.
The advantage of having the rear shock mounted on an angle to the chassis, is that the shock tends to act as an anti sway bar also.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

parrish    -- 12-24-2009 @ 4:41 PM
  I'll give 'em a call...thanks everybody and Merry Christmas!

tudorbilll    -- 12-28-2009 @ 9:53 PM
  Say Bill-- Where can I buy a sway bar for the rear of my 35 tudor Bill H.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-29-2009 @ 6:34 AM
  look like the ones on my 40 wagon, I copied some that a friend had on his car, sure help with cross winds on my top heavy wagon. On the front we use a mid 70's front shock from a chevy/gmc van, do not use gas charged shocks, we tried and they gave a very harsh ride.

wmsteed    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:19 AM
  To respond to tudorbill's question about a source for a rear sway bar for his '35 Ford.
I don't know of any vendor that makes a sway bar kit for the front or rear of any stock EFV8's...
The one shown in the pic I posted is a stock '47/48 Ford setup, other than the attachment bracket I made for the rear cross member.
My rear end is a 47/48 Columbia.
With some welding skill and a pile of steel, a person could fabricate up a bracket to attach to the backing plate bolts, then make the bar from from heavy bar material,,, etc.
I have also seen a bracket that attached to the axle tube using U-bolts... The trick is to get the bar to clear everything.
In reviewing the pic I attached, you should note that the bar is slightly V'd to clear the exhaust pipe

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:24 AM
  Attached is a pic shower the connection of the stock sway bar to the 47/48 rear axle assembly.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 12-29-2009 @ 9:26 AM
  Try Chassis Engineering www.chassisengineeringinc.com
They make a variety of sway bars, which they prefer to call "panhard bars". They once came to see my '47 to make measurements before production. If you prefer to phone them, their number is 319/643-2655. They produce quality parts for Fords from 1928 to the present. They are noted for street rod parts, but many are adaptable to our more conventional old cars.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=496