Topic: windshield frame

Dustbowl    -- 07-14-2012 @ 5:13 PM
  My 1936 Cabriolet needs to have the chrome windshield frame rechromed. How do I remove the frame and is it a difficult job getting out and back in?

p.s. I may have asked this before but "search" turns up nothing!

40 Coupe    -- 07-15-2012 @ 7:09 AM
  Under the inside trim frame of my 35 Cabriolet are about 13 10-32 screws. The wiper motor shaft extends through the frame and will have to be removed by the nut on the outside. There is a rubber seal around the frame on the body side, that will have to be replaced. The frame should be able to be removed from the body. Measure carefully the height of the frame in the center and near the two ends as well as the width. If the glass or frame has to be replaced this is extremely important for fit when replacing. Then the frame has to be disassembled (Top from bottom) by the screws on the sides. Either the glass will fall out or it may brake when removing. Check out the bottom two ends of the frame for rust through and either replace the frame or repair and chrome. Not an easy job since rust can lock many of the retaining screws. Expect to replace the glass, seal and screws. Do not loose the stainless covers for the exterior frame seams, if you do they are available.

Dustbowl    -- 11-18-2012 @ 12:22 PM
  The answer to my July 2012 question about removing the windshield frame from my 36 Cabriolet (and other comments I found searching the forum) seem to relate to the frame around a windshield which opens out. My does not and (without removing the dash) I can't find any sign of screws holding the frame in.
The "frame" I am referring to is just the chrome exterior piece (in two parts). As far as I can guess, it is just wedged into the rubber piece around the glass but I don't want to try pulling out the "frame" until I have a better idea of how it is held in place.
AND NEW IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED.
Phillip

trjford8    -- 11-18-2012 @ 7:55 PM
  As 40Coupe has said , your windshield frame is a "fixed" unit that does not crank out. You must remove the garnish mouldings inside the car and you will then find a series of screws that hold the windshield frame in place. All screws must be removed in order to remove the frame. As I recall you may also have to remove the dash to get to the screws holding the bottom of the frame.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4933