Topic: hi beam light

42wagon    -- 06-15-2012 @ 3:22 AM
  Recently I installed all new wiring harnesses in my 42 wagon. No problems with grounding. All lights work correctly. However there is a problem. The Hi Beam Indicator light comes on when I turn on the parking lights. It does not come on when the head lights are turned on. The wires in the harnesses are the proper colors and are plugged in to the proper wires where connections are made. This harness only has three wires to the foot switch as is proper for my year car although I see the indication on the wiring diagrams for later years that the hi beam wire was connected directly to the foot switch at a later date.The hi beam indicator has a green wire with a white tracer. At the junction box on the fire wall the wire in the dash harness plugs into a matching wire in the light harness. The other end is never to be seen. All I can think is that there must be a connection in the lighting harness that can't be seen between the hi beam wire and the parking light wire.

Anybody encountered this problem or have some thoughts? The only thing I can think to do is run a wire from the connection in the junction box to some convenient location along the wire to the hi beam headlights.
Ted

40 Coupe    -- 06-15-2012 @ 4:56 AM
  Does the light for the ignition switch lock work when the parking lights are on? Or is it working with the high beam? The high beam indicator should only light when the high beams are on. The parking lights and the dash light for the ignition are all on BY wires. It sounds as if you have the GW wire and the BY wire coming from the dash connected to the opposite color wires in the junction box on the firewall. Both the wiring schematics for the 41 and the 42 Deluxe and Super Deluxe show the GW wire coming from the dash light through the junction box to the high beam switch on the floor, so one of the terminals of the high beam switch should have a GW and at least one BG (maybe two)wires on it (the BG goes to the two high beam lights).

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-15-12 @ 4:58 AM

42wagon    -- 06-15-2012 @ 9:10 AM
  Thanks for your reply. I will have to check the ignition switch light. The hi beam light only comes on with the parking lights, it goes off when the headlights are on. The dash lights stay on in both positions.I have checked the wires in the junction box and they are connected to the correct colored wires in both harnesses. Not sure what wiring diagrams you have but the ones for both the 41 and 42 in the 41-48 Ford book have small inserts that clearly call for only three wires connected to the foot switch and that is what the wiring harness I have has.

alanwoodieman    -- 06-15-2012 @ 9:32 AM
  must be a mis-connected wire in the headlight harness to body/cowl harness with the highbeam jewel light working on parking light switch position

42wagon    -- 06-15-2012 @ 11:18 AM
  Thanks for the heads up. Looking under the dash I realized that I had the hi beam indicator in the socket for the ignition light and the ignition light in the socket for the hi beam indicator. Switch the two and the problem is solved. Thanks
Ted

51f1    -- 07-10-2012 @ 1:07 PM
  Emily must be selling leds.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4798