Topic: Differential case

thirtysixford    -- 06-13-2012 @ 1:40 PM
  In prep for new gears and axles, I disassembled the differential. I see some wear on the inside of the 2 piece case which contains the spider gears.

The rear end with the old gears was never noisy. Should I be concerned?

Stroker    -- 06-13-2012 @ 2:57 PM
  Looks like at one time, gear debris has gotten embedded in the malleable iron case.
I wouldn't get overly worried about it, assuming the spider gears and axle gears
are looking good. Those grooves might have been there a long time, and if anything
may help retain lube for the normally barely-moving spider gears.

I'd guess that sometime in history, someone got badly stuck in mud or snow, and really
"exercised" the spider gears.

This message was edited by Stroker on 6-13-12 @ 2:59 PM

thirtysixford    -- 06-13-2012 @ 3:31 PM
  Thanks Stroker.

Tom/SC    -- 06-14-2012 @ 7:39 PM
  I strongly suggest that you replace that spider gear housing. That wear is excessive, that housing new or in good used condition is easy to find. That wear indicates lack of lubrication, since you are replacing the axles and ring and pinion, why would you cut corners with this part? What is the condition of the spider gears and the spider cross? Are they worn to excess? Tom

3w2    -- 06-14-2012 @ 8:43 PM
  I agree with Tom. I would not reuse that gear case or the other half (they should be replaced as a pair).

thirtysixford    -- 06-17-2012 @ 11:57 AM
  I found several NOS left side cases
on eBay, but not a right side or a complete unit.
I'm not sure what is acceptable wear on the gears and cross. The teeth look good and the rear surface of the gears where the contact the case are smooth. There is some play between the gears and cross... how much is ok?

Stroker    -- 06-17-2012 @ 4:56 PM
  When I answered you question a few posts back, I made a couple of assumptions.

1. I assumed that your quiet, un-damaged diff. assy. had been in service for a while.
2. You indicated that the unit was quiet, and the gears looked good.

Based on those inputs, and after viewing the deeply scarred spider gear thrust faces, I
concluded that some past abuse had left its' mark, and that subsequent use had not evidenced problems with the spider gear contact with the axle gears.

There will be some "play" between the spider gears and the axle gears. The key to determining the extend of wear, and need for replacement is the condition of the tooth contact faces on both sets of gears.

If you feel you need to "tighten-up" these clearances, you can source cupped shims from
the Columbia site listed in the V8 Times. These shims fit between the diff housing and the spider gears to close-up any excessive clearance. Originally, they were designed to
salvage worn-out Columbia diff housings, but they will work on any 4-gear spider.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4794