Topic: Another cooling question

EdB    -- 06-12-2012 @ 8:34 PM
  Have Skip's pumps installed. Had the radiator cleaned out. Is there a recommended procedure or product to clean the water passages in the heads and block? I read about the garden hose method but wonder if there is something better? How about using my spray gun that accepts water & air hose fittings?

Thanks for any comments.

ford38v8    -- 06-12-2012 @ 11:01 PM
  Ed, probably the best thing you can do is also the cheapest. Get a load of cheap white vinegar from Costco and run it straight as coolant, drive it a couple days, hot & cold, drain it and refill with water with baking soda, run it again and rinse with plain water, with hoses off, and backflushing in a manner that will remove the dislodged flaking from the block, so as not to clog the radiator again.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 6-12-12 @ 11:07 PM

TomO    -- 06-13-2012 @ 7:59 AM
  I agree with Alan and would add one more thing.

You should filter the water coming from the block into the radiator for at least a couple of days of driving. I used landscape fabric over the radiator inlet openings and fitted the hoses over the fabric. It will catch the larger pieces of debris and allow the water to flow.

A small cable with frayed ends can also be used to free up some of the debris collected in the block. Just chuck it in your drill and run the cable in and out of the water passages.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 6-13-12 @ 8:02 AM

ford38v8    -- 06-13-2012 @ 5:31 PM
  Tom, I don't know why I didn't think of that, Good call. In fact, there is an excellent product to do just that... filter the water from your block to the radiator:

Gano Coolant Filter PO Box 1502 Carmel Valley, CA, Phone/fax (831) 659-1961
email: mosswoodcv@aol.com
Filters out scale before it reaches your radiator

There are two versions, one concealed within the hose, the other visible so you can see the foiltered junk. Both are easilly cleaned out.

Alan

TomO    -- 06-14-2012 @ 7:28 AM
  Alan,

The Gano filter is much more expensive than a piece of landscape fabric. It probably does a better job of filtering the debris, and is a good long term solution if you continue to get debris from the block.

I only worry about the larger pieces of debris that can clog the radiator tubes, and the fabric is a good temporary solution.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-15-2012 @ 8:56 AM
  Be cautious about disturbing deposits in the block and heads. Once riled, it takes a very long time to rid the system of floating debris. Most of the deposits are due to calcium from tap water over the years. Anything strong enough to dissolve these deposits is almost sure to damage non-iron parts, such as the radiator. When we clean a block prior to rebuilding, we boil it in a strong caustic solution. If the accumulation visible through the openings after the water pumps are removed is extreme, we loosen as much as we can by probing, then reboil the block. In most cases, just flushing the engine in place will not enhance cooling to any extent. If you have cooling problems, locate and fix those before you decide to tackle the interior of the block and heads.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-15-12 @ 11:50 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4790