Topic: starter generator

chrismac    -- 12-20-2009 @ 6:22 PM
  I am new to the club and restoring a 1940 station wagon. I have the club's book on 1940 Fords and it has been very helpful. I'm rebuilding the flathead now. The book mentions details on the starter and generator but insufficient pictures for me to understand differences in various years. How do I tell if the starter and generator are correct for a 1940 engine?
Thanks!
Chris
cemac@macallister.com

40 Coupe    -- 12-21-2009 @ 5:18 AM
  determin weather you car is early or late 40 get an idea as to what month the car was made. Check out the dash ash trays, and the glass bug codes. There is an early Gen and a Late. The difference is the front pulley and other minor details. The same starter was used from 32 past 40 with minor changes. Over the years both the Gens and starters were rebuilt using parts from many years because they worked together. So you have to determin what parts are correct for your car. There is a long list of details. Almost all of the Gen and Starter bodies have Ford Script and a date code stamped on the outside. The important thing at this point is to have something that works properly, take your time and join a local reagional group. Ask lots of questions and read the restoration books especially the 38-9. Hopefully ther is another 40 book coming.

40 Coupe    -- 12-21-2009 @ 5:23 AM
  determin weather you car is early or late 40 get an idea as to what month the car was made. Check out the dash ash trays, and the glass bug codes. There is an early Gen and a Late. The difference is the front pulley and other minor details. The same starter was used from 32 past 40 with minor changes. Over the years both the Gens and starters were rebuilt using parts from many years because they worked together. So you have to determin what parts are correct for your car. There is a long list of details. Almost all of the Gen and Starter bodies have Ford Script and a date code stamped on the outside. The important thing at this point is to have something that works properly, take your time and join a local reagional group. Ask lots of questions and read the restoration books especially the 38-9. Hopefully ther is another 40 book coming.

supereal    -- 12-22-2009 @ 9:44 AM
  The "green book" (master parts catalog)has illustrations of the various generators and starters used over the years. It is very unusual to find an "original" unit on a car today, as various vendors, such as "Western Auto" and others, sold rebuilt replacements, and the dealers installed "service replacements" that differed from the factory in the course of business. Some bore the Ford "script", and others did not. The green book is an irreplaceable resource, and is now available in CD form. Both are worth the investment for even the casual Ford enthusiast.

tierod    -- 12-23-2009 @ 9:01 AM
  I HAVE THR GREEN BIBLE IN BOTH PRINT AND DVD FORMAT. A MUST HAVE RESOURSE

dso72    -- 12-23-2009 @ 9:34 AM
  40 Coupe or supereal, Can you elaborate on the dating system used by Ford during the 30s and 40s? Is it a month/day/year or a month/year or a month/day/shift like they used in the 60s and 70s? Is there a general location for me to look on a stater or gen. for the Ford Script? Are other engine parts or body parts dated?
Thanks for all the help. This site is fantastic for all of us who are new to the early V-8.

supereal    -- 12-23-2009 @ 10:17 AM
  The "green book" contains the dates for all the components listed, which is for most of the cars and trucks from 1928 thru 1948. It also indicates when there were "service" changes, wherein older units were dropped from manufacture and supply, and later pieces were substituted. It isn't perfect, but probably the most comprehensive collection of Ford info anywhere. My copy dates back to 1950, when I was a working mechanic. At that time, only the parts departments had them, but the illustrations helped greatly out in the shop. Ford wasn't using date codes on much of anything back then, and didn't adopt the later day/month/year codes until 1949, as I recall. Even the glass "bugs" are tentative, as the glass was usually manufactured well in advance of assembly. I have found dates rubber stamped on the back of clocks, etc, from time to time, but not on engines or attachments. Sometimes you can approximate the time by consulting the green book to see when parts were changed.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=479