Topic: 41 Ford Super Deluxe turn signal / lever

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-10-2012 @ 9:23 AM
  My 41 Super Deluxe's turn signal lever broke off today!
it cracked right off even with the signals housing.

Does anyone know if the lever itself can be replaced, as the signal switch and housing is very nice condition - and I would like to keep it if possible.

If anyone can help with a lever - please contact me at email
JDRuth@att.net

Thank you
John

supereal    -- 06-10-2012 @ 10:15 AM
  Your turn signal control was an add-on. They were made by a number of companies, so finding a replacement would be more than difficult. Most broken levers can be fixed or duplicated. You likely will have to remove the unit to remove the end of the lever. If you do, be sure to mark all wires for reattachment. Most controllers have at least hald a dozen wires that must be carefully reconnected.

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-10-2012 @ 11:31 AM
  Thanks -I was not certain as to the signal switchs source - given that Ford had the fender mounted signals on the car from production - I thought Ford supplied the signal switch.

I will search for a period 6V signal switch with lever.

Thank you,
John

supereal    -- 06-10-2012 @ 1:03 PM
  The fender mounted lights are actually parking lights. Factory turn signals didn't arrive until the "new Fords" arrived in late '48. However, many states required them on trucks earlier.

41SuperDeluxe    -- 06-10-2012 @ 2:07 PM
  Ah - my fender mounted driving lamps were converted to signals at some point probably to meet regulations.

John

42wagon    -- 06-10-2012 @ 4:18 PM
  John
Don't know what state you are from but at least here in Connecticut you are only required to have the lights the car was equipped with when it was built. Not saying that the installation of signal lights wouldn't be a good idea only that they would not be required for a 41 car. However the parking lights would have to be operational.
Ted

42merc    -- 06-10-2012 @ 4:38 PM
  Mercurys, starting with '42 had a turn signal option. Not often seen, I've purchased whole columns to get the signal componants.

deluxe40    -- 06-10-2012 @ 7:24 PM
  41SuperDeluxe: I have been using a low cost switch from eBay on my '41 Sedan Delivery for the past few years. I didn't expect it to last, but it seems to be doing fine so far. It looks like a period item with a stainless cover and a green light at the end of the stalk. I had to use a couple of Radio Shack diodes to make the green light work for both right and left turns. Try searching eBay for "universal turn signal switch". There are several in the $20 range. There are also more expensive switches that are probably more robust, but they look clunky to me.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4776