Topic: Grinding gears

Pair of 40's    -- 06-10-2012 @ 8:36 AM
  My 40 transmission has recently developed a problem with gears grinding after the fluids heat up. When it's cold it shifts fairly well, when warm it does not down shift into 2nd smoothly and at times at a full stop I really have to pull it into first. I did change the rear end grease using the heavest I could find at the local autozone. I don't know if it is the synchronizer or something else. Car has a new clutch.
Thanks

TomO    -- 06-10-2012 @ 9:36 AM
  Do you have at least 1" free play in the pedal?

If not, re-adjust your clutch free-play. Look for lost movement due to wear in the clutch release shaft and the equalizer.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-10-2012 @ 10:07 AM
  Also check and adjust the engine idle speed. It should be about 500 rpm. but try for the lowest idle speed that gives a smooth operation. I agree with Tom regarding clutch linkage. When we install a new clutch, we check the release shaft bushings for play, and replace as needed. This includes the arm of the shaft and the pin and hole that attaches the arm to the shaft. The shaft, itself may need to be replaced, and the release bearing fork and pin may be worn. Any slight play in these parts is amplified by the geometry of the linkage. Finally, it usually helps to use heavy oil in the transmision. We prefer 140 weight, if you can find it. If not, 90-140 will do. The heavier oil tends to increase the slowdown of the gear train a bit That is why it shifts more smoothly until it warms up. Old Ford transmissions were never really smooth shifters, in most cases, so if the car has been idling out of gear, put it in high before you shift into low. The synchroizer will cause the gear train to stop so you can shift into the non syncro first and reverse.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-10-12 @ 10:09 AM

Pair of 40's    -- 06-10-2012 @ 12:33 PM
  I checked my records and we changed the trans fluid with 90-140.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4775