Topic: Help - Correct 38 Nut & Bolts

john38coupe    -- 06-09-2012 @ 7:11 PM
  Sorry, must be having a bad night but wondering if anyone can tell me what the fastners were for the 81A-16550 Radiator Sh*ll to Cross Member Shield that was on All 38 and 39 Standard cars? Secondly, I purchased the "Green Bible" on CD and it turned out to be the "28-48 Ford Chassis Parts & Accessories Catalogue" but the November, 1950 issue. It really does not help me with detail such as I'm asking above. What should I purchase to find such detail? Thanks

trjford8    -- 06-09-2012 @ 8:12 PM
  John, if you do not have the V-8 Club's 38-39 restoration manual you are misssing out on a lot of great information. It can be purchased on this site or by calling 707-226-5256 which is the V-8 Club accessories line.This number is on the west coast and you can call between 8:00am and 8:00pm PST. You can also purchase the 1928-38 Ford hardware and trimming supplies book. This can be purchased through most of the V-8 parts vendors that are listed on the front page of this site.

37 Coupe    -- 06-10-2012 @ 6:27 AM
  I thought I could help by looking in my January 1939 chassis parts list for 1938-1939 fords,but all I came up with was the item # you show but no hardware or fasteners listed. This is probably right where you are,usually a # coding or i.d.the fastener is shown like for example : 20337-S2 and in the back of the book or the big green book it deciphers what size and the last two (S2) is the finish. Usually when I would get to this point I would call Roy Nacewicz,he either knows what goes there or it is accepted what he says. John no doubt has the restoration books because I know he is really been trying to get this back to Dearborn new. The restoration books are a good source but I think there could have been more information about fastener sizes and finishes.

john38coupe    -- 06-10-2012 @ 7:26 AM
  Thanks guys....I have the 38/39 Ford book from the club and the Hardware and Trim book but neither give the detail I need in all cases. My Green Bible CD provides some assistance once you have the part number but in some cases, it does not tell you the type of fastner used. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I've been striving to do things correct the first time which can drive a person crazy. Roy Nacewicz has been a great help to me. Thanks again.

supereal    -- 06-10-2012 @ 1:06 PM
  Ford was noted for using bolts with odd threads. That is why we never throw any away.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4773