Topic: '35 & '36 spare tire cover question.

oconrad32@gmail    -- 06-08-2012 @ 2:32 PM
  I bought a new 6.00x16 Firestone tire from Coker and it is bigger than their catalog says it is. The problem is it is to big for the '36 tire cover to fit. I have a tire like the new one that is about 30-40 years old and the cover fits like it should. What do other guys do to make the cover fit? Dave

This message was edited by oconrad32@gmail on 6-8-12 @ 2:33 PM

fomocoloco    -- 06-08-2012 @ 4:50 PM
  Call Corky.

weezer

oconrad32@gmail    -- 06-09-2012 @ 4:23 AM
  I called and didn't talk to Corky but did talk to some other guy and he more or less said that the tires are what they are and that's the way it is. The next size down is 5.00x16 and they are to small.

drkbp    -- 06-11-2012 @ 4:59 AM
  Dave,

I have the same problem. I changed a tire for one that was on the ground a few weeks ago and can't get the cover back on. They are the Coker wide white. Garfields I believe.

You may want to try letting the air out, mount the cover and then air it up.

That spare is the same as the other four on my '35 and they were all bought at the same time many years ago. I just hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. I'll try it this week and see if my failing memory is still working. Thanks fot the push.

Ken in Texas

CharlieStephens    -- 06-11-2012 @ 8:31 AM
  I am definitely not am expert on the '35/'36 but I thought I remembered hearing that there were two sizes of tires used and they had different covers. Maybe you need the other size cover. Have you looked up the topic up in the Restoration Guidelines?

Charlie Stephens

oconrad32@gmail    -- 06-11-2012 @ 12:58 PM
  In July '36 the standard models had a 5.50x16 tire and a smaller tire cover. I have a deluxe cover and the correct size tire. The tire is just to big for the cover and the 30 or 40 year old tire is a little smaller. The cover fits perfectly on the old tire. COKER'S new tire is just to big. As I said above, their sales rep more or less said tuff luck. And I've tried letting the air out to install the cover and no luck.

This message was edited by oconrad32@gmail on 6-11-12 @ 1:00 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4769